HPF circuit's slippery slope

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that’s a lot of intricate wiring boji.  The thing about your design is you can change to whatever you want in the future if your unhappy later. 

To me the sound of results is all that matters.  The beauty of the design is 2 amps perform everything in the channel.  As opposed to 10 to 15 or more in a completely buffered design.  In the hands of the right engineer, the sonic results are stunning with either design.  This creates lots of opinions about what’s best. 

The amazing amount of work to build this thing is impressive.  To me it makes more since building this vintage design then building a later design with 20 opamps in the chain.    You also have the benefit of brand new switches and pots unlike the 1976 console I take care of. 

Thank you Faze.  You audio pro's around here are an amazing bunch- quite the microcosm of goodwill, good advice and generosity of time / brain power.

One more thing boji, The macdsp filter plug-in has that under damped response model that behaves like  a pultec being used with cut and boost.  My point is it sounds good to reduce the muddy low frequency and have a rise at the roll off.  Instruments with body don’t sound so neutered. 

As far as a surgical filter, there is every shape you need in a plug in.  You wind up using the software when you need that shape.  I don’t think you will have any problem with the filter choice you have and you are maintaining the topology of a proven sound of classic recording equipment.

I've not had the chance to use any McDSP stuff but I have heard good things about them. Pensado uses them often in his YT videos.
Lately my plug of choice for cuts / surgical stuff has been the Fabfilter Pro Q2.  My hope is this used in combination with the passive on the desk will get the job done.

Have you ever messed with Nebula? Their analog emu's sound nice to me for boost.

Have you ever messed with Nebula?

I’ve not tried Nebula. I need to check it out .  Also I hear good things about  fabfilter  from lots of folks.  There are so many choices these days.    At any rate it supports the idea of doing good sounding broad strokes with your board and surgical stuff with your DAW .

Back