Burst CDR

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR

I'd heard this as an urban legend. Just happened to me.

Trying to copy some CDs. The writer in the PC was goofy, first standing idle when it should be working, then going to MAX speed. Second disk went on and on, I tried to eject and it went BANG, then it hung so bad I had to long-press the PC power button. Took the drive out/apart and all seemed fine. Got it up again and (foolishly) tried another. whirrrWHIRRRRRR!!!! BANG!!! like the lawnmower tossing a rock through the window. Wouldn't eject. When I got it out it sounded like a box of broken glass. When I opened it was all glitter. Well, no, one large shard went THROUGH the back panel of the drive.

Retail Memorex CD-R, rated for 52X, the drive was 48X.

Attachments

• Burst-CDR.jpg
    Burst-CDR.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 60
It's not supposed to do that? Baaad CD burner. Lives up to it's name!

Ive had similar cd player /recorder faults , If the disc doesnt load flat onto the spindle you'll get horrendous vibration and potentially a catastrophic fail like you had. Just looking at the pic  ,there seems to be something on the spindle which might have caused the unbalance ,the white dot on the pad around the outside of the spindle. At one point with old cheap CDR discs I used avoid writing on the top surface of the disc with markers, so I started putting on small paper labels ,sometimes these were enough to unbalance and cause the the disc to wobulate , dvds are even more sensitive due to rotational speed.

Latest posts

Back