Talking about Fake (or Faking Talk I should say)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A social democratic party in Belgium, sp.a, just published a fake video of President Donald Trump telling the country to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement.

At one point, the fake Trump says, "We all know climate change is fake, just like this video."

However, that's not translated into Dutch in the subtitles and the volume drops sharply at the beginning of that sentence, so it's hard to make out. There would be no way for a viewer who's watching the video without volume to know it's fake from the text.

Instead of revealing the hoax, the party goes into promoting a climate change petition directed toward Belgian parliament. So far it has just over 900 signatures of the required 25,000.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/janelytvynenko/a-belgian-political-party-just-published-a-deepfake-video?utm_term=.akWYmzz6P#.dfnzw33Qp

sorry I didn't click your links, but IMO it is a good thing that people are becoming a little more aware of how much and how easily they are manipulated.  Hollywood has been perfecting the automatic dialog replacement for years (to save money) and the technology keeps getting better.

I am afraid the sheeple will remain easily fooled for a very long time, mainly because they want to be lied to. No politician who tells the whole truth would ever get elected, we want them to tell us the comfortable lies.

This is not new, but the tools keep getting better. Maybe this will be something good to come from the never ending investigation surrounding 2016 vote, but I'm not sure we should trust the government to guard the hen house that could impact their ability to get re-elected.  :eek:

JR

PS: Speaking of elections Maduro just won with a lower turnout than last time, because his opposition boycotted the election. I wonder if Jimmy Carter blesses this election too?

scott2000 said:
This is crazy......Like we need more stuff like this to confuse things further

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/robotics/artificial-intelligence/ai-creates-fake-obama
I guess that means Netflix overpaid for signing a production deal with the ex-president and his wife.  :eek:

JR

The ability to manipulate data, sound, etc is over the top these days. About the only real way to prevent  its abuse is the honor system and we have seen how closely that gets followed...

OK...this is terrifying. How do we know if the POTUS is really saying what the tv says he's saying? This has diabolical ramifications...

Back