Otari MX5050 Bii reel motor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deveng

I've had my MX5050  8-track for many years and its in almost perfect condition.  Even though I don't use it anymore, I've exercised it regularly through the years.    I typically oil the capstan, wedge the take-up arm and then run it it fast froward for 10 minutes, then rewind for 10 minutes (no tape, just empty reels).  Today something different happened.  After stopping the rewind, and trying to start it again, the right reel did not spin up again.  I can hear the normal mechanical switching sound when I engage the fast forward switch.  Now both play and fast forward don't spin the right reel motor.  If I "help" it spin it finally does spin up.  The back-tension feels the same as the left reel motor and it moves freely in the other direction.  So much for my exercising routine.    Running the motor for 10 minutes with no load (tape) shouldn't be a problem, considering they're designed to run all day back and forth with tape loaded no problem.    Without opening it up yet, I suspect it could be a dried out motor capacitor.  The left reel motor spins like a champ.

Anyone seen this behavior?

Regards,
Jeff

Sounds like the linkage to the servo pot on  the arm might have slipped , my guess is remove the top plate and the problem may reveal itself . you could try a calibration first before dismantling anything too.

deveng said:
I suspect it could be a dried out motor capacitor. 
+1, or a loosedirty contact. I hope it's not a fried winding.
We can confidently eliminate the relays, since none is common to the FFW and take-up function (there is still a remote possibility for two relays being duff...). Servo can also be eliminated since not used in FFW.

Thanks to both for input!  I'll open this thing up, as soon as time permits, and check the caps, windings, etc.  I've already priced reel motors just in case.  No too bad if it has to be replaced, $60-100. 

Last time I had it in the shop for a full checkup (head lap) the guy said the machine looked brand new, how did I do that?  Simple, my philosophy is just because its a tool, it doesn't have to be abused.    Normal wear and tear is  one thing but with thoughtful use, one can keep equipment in excellent condition for a lifetime.

Regards,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back