Q about wireless microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

Hey gang,

Friend asked me to help to chose a microphone system for use in amateur theater. It should be ear mounted wireless mainly for speech and occasionally for singing (non professional, of course). They have low budget and need 3 mics system. I know nothing about those--anybody could help what is good for money and what to look for?

Best, M

Hi, I'm a satisfied user of Line6 wireless XDV35L.
You have to make a decision about the carrier frequency.
2.4 GHz digital systems can be used anywhere, but there is a risk of interference from a powerful WiFi signal.
This article resumes it quite well
https://www.rfvenue.com/blog/2015/01/27/what-you-need-to-know-about-2-4-ghz-wireless-microphones
VHF (170-200MHz) is robust but may suffer from interference and not benefit from the frequency agility of 2.4G, that use WiFi techniques to switch automatically frequency in order to find the less crowded.
Some UHF (470-900MHz) use this frequency agility.
Caution: there are still a number of non-digital, fixed frequency systems on the market today. They are temptingly inexpensive generally, but you really need the versatility of a multi-channel non-licensed system.

The Rode is a nice system, but it's meant to be used as a camera link, and as such a little akward to use in the context of a PA system. Form factor of the receiver is a parameter not to be neglected; a "pocket" receiver dangling at the end of a flimsy cable is not my idea of a robust tool.

Beware of products designed for podcast or digital presentation, such as Samson Stage XPD1 Presentation, which does not provide an audio output, only USB connection.

Most of the good systems are between $250 and $500.
There are indeed much cheaper systems; my experience with those is that they are not dependable and sometimes terribly hard to interface.
If you want to keep your friend, don't recommend anything that has fixed-frequency. I wouldn't recommend anything from obscure brands; stick to the good names: AKG, Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Samson, Line6.

Thank you for the insights!

They are on a very tight budget (it is a students theater), so for three mics the cost will triple. Are there any systems to allow 3 mics to be connected to the same receiver?

Thanks, M

Marik said:
They are on a very tight budget (it is a students theater), so for three mics the cost will triple.
I guess they'll have to settle for one of the cheap systems, such as this
http://www.vocopro.com/products/product_info.php?ID=850
Indeed, there are cheaper systems, but they are fixed frequency, often in the VHF range, which makes them prone to interference.

Are there any systems to allow 3 mics to be connected to the same receiver?
There are systems that put 3 or 4 receivers in a common enclosure. As a result, there's a small saving.
It is not possible to have a single receiver accepting more than one transmitter simultaneously.

Hello!

Recommend Sennheiser EW 100-935 G3-A-US https://microphonetopgear.com/best-microphone-kits/: it is a system kit with hand-held vocal microphone (516-558 MHz), radio frequency range A (516-558 MHz). The kit consists of a hand-held SKM 100-935 G3 microphone transmitter and an EM100 G3 receiver. All handheld transmitters of the EW 100 series are equipped with microphone heads of the professional series of E 900. Vocal sounded with the SKM 100-935 G3 transmitter is easily “cut” in the mix even at very high volume levels on the stage. The transmitter is easily synchronized with the receiver via the IR interface by simply pressing a button. The receiver with True Diversity technology is equipped with a graphical display with backlighting, information on which is easy to read in any lighting.

Latest posts

Back