You Know You're Getting Old When...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Kids come in and have their own vocabulary for just about EVERYTHING.  Especially things that have well defined and long lasting traditional meanings... 
I've posted about this before I think, but damn, it just gets me.  The latest was mixing and mastering.... apparently, MASTERING is what we old folks used to call MIXING; and MIXING is what we old folks used to call TRACKING...
I'm almost 40 and I feel like what I remember my grandfather must have felt like the first time he saw video games.  The look on his face.

sr1200 said:
apparently, MASTERING is what we old folks used to call MIXING; and MIXING is what we old folks used to call TRACKING...

So then what is the step that transfers the masters onto VINYLS?  I'm over 40 and I want to smack every idiot who calls records vinyls.  :mad:

It's what is becoming lost in an ever increasingly inarticulate society [ unable to express itself ? ] of youth!

dic·tion
ˈdikSH(ə)n/Submit
noun
the choice and use of words and phrases in speech or writing.
"Wordsworth campaigned against exaggerated poetic diction"
synonyms: phraseology, phrasing, turn of phrase, wording, language, usage, vocabulary, terminology, expressions, idioms
"her diction was archaic"
the style of enunciation in speaking or singing.
"she began imitating his careful diction"
synonyms: enunciation, articulation, elocution, locution, pronunciation, speech, intonation, inflection; delivery
"his careful diction"

You Know You're Getting Old When… complaining about young people seems like a good use of time?

When I think back to 20 year old me I was naive, arrogant, unskilled and generally full of it. I did have a few redeeming qualities but I try to remember my failings when I'm inclined to criticize younger kids these days.

I have something of an axe to grind with the media's obsession with Millennial's "destruction of society:, entitlement, ingratitude etc etc.  Kids these days live in a different world with different challenges and different (less?) opportunities.

I'd say if you are having trouble keeping up with how young people live and communicate then spend more time with young people (and more time on Reddit).

Cheers,
Ruairi

Reading this it comes off as cranky but it's meant as a good natured defense of young people.

Allot of is about values , isn't it ?  who is going to take care of what is left ?  [ who values music enough to pay for it ? ]
Part of the rebellion of youth , in order to find  " their own  " identity  , it's not going to be what adults or
parents or .... are  so there is some automatic  opposition there and on the older person side ,  If one thinks of themselves as 
" reasonable " then one expects other to think the same way , it takes time for the two to meet !

okgb said:
Allot of is about values , isn't it ?  who is going to take care of what is left ?  [ who values music enough to pay for it ? ]
Part of the rebellion of youth , in order to find  " their own  " identity  , it's not going to be what adults or
parents or .... are  so there is some automatic  opposition there and on the older person side ,  If one thinks of themselves as 
" reasonable " then one expects other to think the same way , it takes time for the two to meet !

I think what a lot of middle aged people find alarming about Millennials or young people is not their rebellion against our lifestyles and values but rather their complete disinterest.

And yes, it takes time for different sides to find consensus.  As the one with more life experience I think the onus is on me the forty something year old, not the kid.

The tracking / mixing / mastering thing probably has more to do with music style than age.  Lots of electronic music these days has minimal if any traditional tracking.  The creation process is often a mixing of beats which then gets polished later (mastered).

I wonder about age when I don't like new music.  But then I'm not so sure.  Pop art was never a high art form,  but it is actually objectively worse and more homogenized than before. There is still good music around,  but it seems harder to find,  the S/N ratio is worse.

Oh, there's so much I could say here (suppressing my sentence fragment rant, and then there are the words that have changed or added meanings in my lifetime).

But I do vaguely recall hearing this story somewhere, and that it dates to perhaps close to a century ago: A reporter was asking a teenager why, when he liked something, he said it was "cool." "Well, you see, when my dad likes something he says it's hot, and I can't be like my dad."

There does seem to be a prevailing attitude in the youth of today that say they know it all ,and the older generations just dont understand the internet . Theres an interesting project in a primary school in Co Kerry lately ,with the agreement of teachers parents and pupils mobile phones have been banned from school , its early days yet of course ,but the reports are very very encouraging ,better attention span from the pupils ,better performance academically ,less chance of bullying or hate type activities.

I guess in olden times you looked up to the people close to you and emulated them ,nowadays kids are more likely to ape the activities of super rich media icons . As ive said before there been an erosion of the boundries of whats acceptable and whats not due to the internet. The fundamentals of human decency and kindness towards one another seem to have gone out the window ,I dont know how many people I've seen including older generations who have succumbed to this idea that well ,its all grand no harm done its only the internet,stick n stones bla bla bla .

Interesting stat emerged here today too ,in one year the national health service spent 400 million on prescription meds for psychological dissorders of one kind or another ,yet only 10 million was spent on councilling services . This epidemic of pity seeking ,Im depressed ,Im anxious is creating its own little vortex via social media and the health services are being bankrupt paying the bills for all the dope .Im not completely writing off the pills ,in the shorter term yeah im sure they can help people through a rough patch ,but this idea that people belong on meds every day for the rest of their lives is plastering over the cracks and simply sweeping the underlying issues under the carpet .

....you are unable to extract and retain the same amount of energy, that you were able to when you were younger.  :eek:

benb said:
A reporter was asking a teenager why, when he liked something, he said it was "cool." "Well, you see, when my dad likes something he says it's hot, and I can't be like my dad."

So my 13yr old says "Lit" which is closer to hot than cool is...Lol, I'm learning to just sit back and watch it happen.

It really depends on what crowd of "young people" you are referring to. Remember, someone who writes/mixes/masters EDM (Electronic Dance Music) is now a "producer" too.

But seriously, as a young person, hearing a bunch of older folks stereotype us as being less intelligent or respectful doesnt exactly encourage a healthy relationship.  8) Your mileage may vary. :)

ruairioflaherty said:
You Know You're Getting Old When… complaining about young people seems like a good use of time?

When I think back to 20 year old me I was naive, arrogant, unskilled and generally full of it. I did have a few redeeming qualities but I try to remember my failings when I'm inclined to criticize younger kids these days.

I have something of an axe to grind with the media's obsession with Millennial's "destruction of society:, entitlement, ingratitude etc etc.  Kids these days live in a different world with different challenges and different (less?) opportunities.

I'd say if you are having trouble keeping up with how young people live and communicate then spend more time with young people (and more time on Reddit).

Cheers,
Ruairi

Reading this it comes off as cranky but it's meant as a good natured defense of young people.

I spend plenty of time with younger people, (most of my coworkers are 10-15 years younger than me) and more time on reddit than id care to admit.  Its not a matter of keeping up, but more a matter of why the need to confuse things by applying your own definitions (which almost certainly stemmed from ignorance or misunderstanding) to  existing words that already have established definitions. Slang... no problem. But things of a technical nature i cant get behind. Imagine if a surgeon asked for a clamp and was handed a scalpel cause “thats what we call it”.

sr1200 said:
I spend plenty of time with younger people, (most of my coworkers are 10-15 years younger than me) and more time on reddit than id care to admit.  Its not a matter of keeping up, but more a matter of why the need to confuse things by applying your own definitions (which almost certainly stemmed from ignorance or misunderstanding) to  existing words that already have established definitions. Slang... no problem. But things of a technical nature i cant get behind. Imagine if a surgeon asked for a clamp and was handed a scalpel cause “thats what we call it”.

Sounds like they're just wrong :)  The one that gets me is "hook" instead of "chorus".

I can still remember being young, (but just barely).  It is the natural order for young people to be more liberal, and think they already know everything (I was and I did, including protesting the viet nam war).

Unfortunately now after growing old I realize that my parents were the cool kids. My dad was a recording engineer for RCA records in NYC in the 50's (and played drums in a jazz band at night). My mother left the farm in NC to live in NYC at 17(?) YO, and even worked part time as a (nude?) model for a mannequin maker.  ::)  They are both long RIP, but way cooler than I could ever be.  :'(

JR

PS: Speaking of war, interesting if they can finally stick a fork in the Korean war that never reached an armistice after some 7 decades.

[edit] More evidence that forum members are getting younger is mainly the younger people (in my judgement) complaining about the free advice dispensed around here... Complaining about the tone of answers is something older people who remember when free advice didn't exist, don't partake in.  It is also typically us old farts that get complained about when we lose patience and don't treat this forum as a safe space.  ::)

Sorry for my stereotyping of forum members by age, but I have seen an uptick in "tone" complaints in recent years, and the similar changes in modern culture are the only explanation I can relate.  Of course I could be wrong. [/edit]

Latest posts

Back