Gapped Transformer Question???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdarwin

Hi there!
I'd like to know if it's possible to use gapped transformer without DC current...

In my Zener limiter, I use a LO1166 instead a VTB9070.
These have the same specs: ratio, dc coil resistance, zobel value caps/resistor.

With an RTA, I can see any trouble with LO1166...
thanks

you can,  but you will have a lot less inductance with the gapped core as the turns are about the same,

a Fender Tweed Deluxe is a push pull circuit with balanced DC, but it sometimes uses a Triad #108 for an output which has a gap, but it has 4000 turns so there is still enuff Henrys to cover the bass,

you could heat that 1166 up with a heat gun and pop off the i bars, remove the paper gap, and reassemble for more zHenrys if you clean the mating surfaces so they are smooth,

mrdarwin said:
Hi there!
I'd like to know if it's possible to use gapped transformer without DC current...

In my Zener limiter, I use a LO1166 instead a VTB9070.
These have the same specs: ratio, dc coil resistance, zobel value caps/resistor.

With an RTA, I can see any trouble with LO1166...
thanks
An RTA won't show you much of the difference in LF response. AS CJ explained, the gapped xfmr, compared with the same ungappedd has less inductance, hence less LF response (but perhaps slightly better HF response). It may matter or not. If the ungapped goes down to 10Hz and the gapped only to 15, I don't think you would really notice (and the RTA won't see anything below 20Hz anyway), unless you bang it with infrasonics. A gapped transformer has less of the "transformer sound" than the ungapped, because its manetizing curve is more linear.

Thanks guys!
I really appreciate this place for the members and the clarity and precision of the answers.

I read somewhere you can use gapped or ungapped, somewhere there is an audible difference etc etc...

Now I know it's not recommended.... and I know WHY.

Thanks a lot!
:)

Latest posts

Back