Jvc hifi with valves

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

It was time to replace the ancient boom box kitchen radio .
I ended up with one of these ,2x100watts switching amp fronted by a pair of 12ax7's ,from what I can tell these have real HT voltages and are dissipating some heat. Im tempted to open it up to see whats going on inside re psu ,valve circuit and voltages, I will do this at some point down the line and  show a few pics here just for curiosity, interesting that main stream consumer manufacturers are returning in some small way to valve . The sound from it is quite nice ,seems to lend itself to classical especially , the supplied speakers have very low sensitivity and seem to need a good bit of juice to get them moving ,but overall balance is good ,bass might be a little light  ,but never flabby, treble is polite as well with the valves seeming to add something nice to vocals.

Attachments

• JVC.jpg
    JVC.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 17
Its seems like a good idea ,I guess they set the tube charachteristics so that it distorts before the output stage goes into clipping .Id imagine its all surface mount inside ,so not very tweekable,Ill post a few gut shots soon and try and document the circuit they use.

That's cool, and, as you mention interesting that they did the valve thing.  I just hooked up my JVC VCR last night, which is what they were known for.  Haven't watched vids on it in a while, forgot how grainy the tape can be. 

I would have said they probably aren't going to go back to that, but after that reel to reel stuff, and the tape cassette thing, who knows anymore, at some point, I suppose VHS will also do a "nostalgic" comeback.  :p

Latest posts

Back