music copyright reform passes house

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems like good news for the industry , the rates being paid for online plays have been pityfull ,hopefully they can find a way to throw a few crumbs to the small fish and prevent it from becoming a feeding frenzy for top of the musical food chain types.

Couldn't find details,  any news on what the new revenues would be? Will streaming be a viable way for  artist to actually make money?

john12ax7 said:
Couldn't find details,  any news on what the new revenues would be? Will streaming be a viable way for  artist to actually make money?
It just passed the house so has to go to the senate when they write their version, then they will need to get together to negotiate a single bill, so unknown at this time, but the general concept is more money for some people who are cut out of revenue stream now... but not a done deal yet.

Sometimes these small bills get attached to some bigger legislation and can die if the other bill fails due to obstruction or resistance.

It's not over until the fat lady sings (and gets paid). 

JR

One particular problem with digital music (i.e. a non-physical medium) is that it knows no boundaries. This means streaming providers can be located anywhere. The new US laws  will apply only to the US which is probably not 10% of the market. So two problems:

1. Potentially no improvement for 90% of the industry

2. Easily legally circumvented by offshore servers

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
One particular problem with digital music (i.e. a non-physical medium) is that it knows no boundaries. This means streaming providers can be located anywhere. The new US laws  will apply only to the US which is probably not 10% of the market. So two problems:

Cheers

Ian

+1 here

necessary "digital" customs border
cheers

ps
remember : robots do not buy what they produce !

On the subject of IP SCOTUS just made a ruling less favorable to inventors.

They declared that patent protection is a public right, not a private right, so government administrata can revoke that right without full legal process.  :eek:

JR

JohnRoberts said:
On the subject of IP SCOTUS just made a ruling less favorable to inventors.

They declared that patent protection is a public right, not a private right, so government administrata can revoke that right without full legal process.  :eek:

JR

then : the end of inventors ?

the development and research innovation  will be only governmental domain (and their friends) ?
where researchers will be only government workers with fixed salary only ?

WOW
what a cool democracy / zy  evolution…..

cheers

SIXTYNINER said:
then : the end of inventors ?

the development and research innovation  will be only governmental domain (and their friends) ?
where researchers will be only government workers with fixed salary only ?

WOW what a cool democracy evolution…..

cheers
No, but giving the bureaucracy more power can lead to ignorant decisions and overt abuse. 

Execution of IP protection is ripe for exploitation by crony capitalism. 

But I don't get all chicken little (just yet), patents have been a deep pockets game for as long as I can remember.

JR

ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

My understanding is that most of the counteries in the world pay mechanical royalties on streaming (and radio) while the US is one of the few places that doesn't. So I think part of this is trying to get the us more in line with everyone else. As usual, I may be wrong.

Back