Enclosure for my DIY BA6A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letterbeacon

A while back I built a BA6A - it's great and but it's a bit of a beast. I built it in a hifi Hammond enclosure, meaning it sits in my rack on a shelf.

Here's some photos so you see what I mean:

Now I'd like to make it rack mounted, rather just on a shelf. I think the easiest way would be for me to find a vented 5U enclosure for it and screw it into the bottom of that. Trouble is, this thing is heavy! I haven't been able to find a 5U enclosure that I think could take the weight in the UK or EU.

Can anyone recommend anywhere (that isn't Modushop)?

This looked promising: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5U-19-Network-Rack-Mount-Case-19-inch-rack-mount-enclosure-390mm-deep-in-black/291235695791?hash=item43cf000caf:g:Lj4AAOxyrM5TJ0Bs

But the front panel is folded, and ideally I'd like a flat one so I can put a custom front panel on it.

Hi

Nice build
What about just a front panel ? it's already enclosed !
Actual enclosure screwed at FP lower end, you may just add support from upper FP to back of the actual enclosure at bout 45°

Best
Zam

Out of curiosity - why not modushop?

Seems you could get one of their extruded enclosures with a custom faceplate from Front Panel Express?

Nice looking work tho - I have always wanted a pair of those...

T.

Ho both - thanks for your replies.

zamproject said:
What about just a front panel ? it's already enclosed !
Actual enclosure screwed at FP lower end, you may just add support from upper FP to back of the actual enclosure at bout 45°

Best
Zam

This seems like the cheapest option, but it requires a bit of metalwork on my part, and that's not really my expertise. That BA6A is the extent of my metalwork  prowess!

Out of curiosity - why not modushop?

Seems you could get one of their extruded enclosures with a custom faceplate from Front Panel Express?

Only because I've heard their enclosures are a bit flimsy and this beast is very heavy!

I'd keep it on a rack shelf. It looks great as it is and the "floating" meter is a nice feature

Where did you get the knob surrounds from? (I think the word is escutcheon...)

Nick Froome

Attachments

• 5U rack shelf.jpg
    5U rack shelf.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 7
Hi Nick,

Thanks, it was an education building it, but it was a fun one. The knobs surrounds were made by a friend of mine on his CNC machine.

I already have it on a 5u rack shelf, but I’m looking to try and properly rack mount it.

Its like a relic ,attention to detail is impresive ,secondary iron cans for mains offenders looks like a good option ,I note the fat sowter mu metal on the interstage ,optimum orientation of the iron on that build has to take some thinking and scoping out ,are you choking the HT supply as well ?looks like two Ht rails?

Maybe you could add a set of  rack mounting ears onto your existing chassis ,no sence re drilling and mounting a new front panel and the very tastefully done black dials and ledgends on eggshell blue  ,Give it a set of noddy in toytown big ears and maybe some mesh grill ,That late 40's 50's built to survive WW3 style engineering needs to be beheld by your customers ,not blanked out by a faceless front panel .

Can we have a wee peek under the hood ?

+1 on the rack shelf.  I use them for older industrial PC's and they can take plenty of weight.  It would make servicing  it easy. Besides, you don't cage beauty, you put in on a pedestal!  =P

Latest posts

Back