Microphone Choice for SPL and Frequency Response

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seen

Hi,
I wanted to measure the reverberation time of a room plotting a dB and  time graph in REW, so I was thinking of getting an SPL meter like a Galaxy Audio CM-140 (pre-calibrated). I was also interested in measuring frequency response of rooms, so I was looking at these microphones: Dayton Audio EMM-6 (pre-calibrated), Behringer ECM8000 (Behringer gives out standard calibration for all their units as a whole, so no individualized calibration), or DIY WM-61a microphone (only problem is calibration) maybe with a miniDSP 2x4. I was wondering if I could use any of these mics (or any others) for accurate (calibrated) measurements of SPL and frequency response, instead of buying separate mics for each purpose.
Thanks

The "each purpose" being SPL on one hand, and frequency response on the other hand?

Yeah I wanted something that could measure both frequency response and SPL accurately (not engineer accurate), but still at a reasonably low cost.

seen said:
Dayton Audio EMM-6 (pre-calibrated), Behringer ECM8000
Both these mics are adequate for the intended purpose. It all boils down to the calibration of the rest of the measurement chain, the mic preamp, the converter, the software (assuming you'll use a computer).

I was wondering if I could use any of these mics (or any others) for accurate (calibrated) measurements of SPL and frequency response,
Define "accurate". These mics are not even class2, meaning results will be +/-2dB (it's a gross simplification, but I don't want to start a metrology course); is it acceptable for you?

instead of buying separate mics for each purpose.
There is absolutely no justification for buying two different mics.
Thanks
[/quote]

Cross Spectrum Labs also sells Calibrated MicW i436 microphones that happen to be Class 2, but they use the headphone jack, so I'm assuming they are unbalanced.  Does the fact that it is unbalanced affect any measurements or increase uncertainty from a normal Class 2 microphone?

seen said:
Does the fact that it is unbalanced affect any measurements or increase uncertainty from a normal Class 2 microphone?
No, but it makes them less universal than a standard balanced P48-compatible mic. OTOH, if you measurement apparatus is to be an iPhone...

I wasn't really considering USB (pre-calibrated IUmik-1) before because of the reason you said earlier (compatibility), but now I'm starting to consider it due to the other associated costs of an audio interface and a preamp. The preamp can probably be done cheaply, but the USB audio interface is hard unless you have any in mind. Measuring with phones isn't great; I agree.

seen said:
I wasn't really considering USB (pre-calibrated IUmik-1) before because of the reason you said earlier (compatibility), but now I'm starting to consider it due to the other associated costs of an audio interface and a preamp. The preamp can probably be done cheaply, but the USB audio interface is hard unless you have any in mind. Measuring with phones isn't great; I agree.
Agreed; USB is a better option since it can be used directly with the computer, no mic pre, no interface. To my knowledge, they are all restricted to 44/48k sampling rate, which should not be an issue if you intend to do only standard acoustic work.

Back