Anyone else notice how noisy the Waves API 2500 plugin is?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Is the huge amount of hiss that is introduced by the plugin just supposed to be the "magic sound" that we have all been searching for? Jesus, it's like listening to an old cassette over here....

The switch doesn't make much of a difference at all. I also had the SSL one and that did go away with analog disabled. I minds well just put on a white noise track and dial it in to taste lol.

I've also noticed a huge noise build up with some Waves plugins. But I just checked the 2500 and it goes away with Analog Off,  so it could be something else.

Whatever about noisy the API 2500 plug is probably the only compressor I like less than the actual 2500.  Maybe it's fun on drums or something but it's godawful in a mastering context.

ruairioflaherty said:
Whatever about noisy the API 2500 plug is probably the only compressor I like less than the actual 2500.  Maybe it's fun on drums or something but it's godawful in a mastering context.

What do you not like about it? Too "pumpy"?

iampoor1 said:
What do you not like about it? Too "pumpy"?

It seems to have everything bad about compression, compromises the tone, darker under more gain reduction , smaller sounding. I've correctly guessed quite a few times when a client uses it on a mix., it just has a signature sound.

My experiences actually using one hands on we're the same, I could not find a better setting than bypass.

ruairioflaherty said:
It seems to have everything bad about compression, compromises the tone, darker under more gain reduction , smaller sounding. I've correctly guessed quite a few times when a client uses it on a mix., it just has a signature sound.

My experiences actually using one hands on we're the same, I could not find a better setting than bypass.

Was this before or after the wolf modification he suggests on those?

pucho812 said:
Was this before or after the wolf modification he suggests on those?

I'm sure none of the units I heard or used were modified.  Personally I have zero interest in taking mod advice from someone who designed something so sucky in the first place.  My only experience with Tonelux was even worse so I'm no fan of his work.  Very nice guy in person though.

I use this one regularly... no huge noise probs for me... I have noticed that some plugs can build up noise when in certain situations... (order of plugins or gain staging)  sound toys Microshift being one...

Interestingly enough, I only use this in extreme parallel compression situations anyway. I find myself gravitating more to the clean stuff.. I really like the fab filter comp.

Mbira said:
Interestingly enough, I only use this in extreme parallel compression situations anyway. I find myself gravitating more to the clean stuff.. I really like the fab filter comp.

I've never tried the Fab comp even though I own the EQ and De-esser (but use neither).  For clean plug in compression I really like the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov, it's free so hard to argue with that.

ruairioflaherty said:
...For clean plug in compression I really like the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov, it's free so hard to argue with that.

After reading your post I downloaded and tried it out, it’s killin esp for more subtle / mastering uses.  Thanks Ruairi!

I have no idea if noise is added intentionally but there is a fairly well know psycho-acoustic phenomenon where listeners perceive some hiss as extended HF response, or conversely no hiss= no perceived HF response.

JR 

Seeker said:
After reading your post I downloaded and tried it out, it’s killin esp for more subtle / mastering uses.  Thanks Ruairi!

Glad you like it!  It's pretty powerful and most of the settings allow enough range to go to very unmusical places so be careful:)

For clean control it's the best I've heard ITB and has pretty much replaced DMG's Compassion for me when I need that.

ruairioflaherty said:
I'm sure none of the units I heard or used were modified.  Personally I have zero interest in taking mod advice from someone who designed something so sucky in the first place.  My only experience with Tonelux was even worse so I'm no fan of his work.  Very nice guy in person though.

if you can get past the sheep talk, I am sure he is.

Latest posts

Back