Autopanner Manual Needed - Electrospace Spanner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieOxford

I picked up one of these units recently but need a manual to service and calibrate it. Wondering if anyone can help?
Thanks !

Electrospace-Developments-Spanner-SP2-Auto-Panner-Like-Panscan.jpg

Good luck, the company was liquidated on Nov 20, 1987.  (Unfortunately before I could buy a unit)

But is there something to adjust ?  I thought there is some digital electronics inside ?

You don't have by chance a picture from inside, do you ?  ;)

Hi AnalogGuru,

No DSPs in here, it's all op amps, caps, resistors and transistors. Looks to be a few trim pots also.

Looks as if someone may have spilled liquid in the back at some point… it's fairly dusty too but looks to be ok inside.

The case is very good quality, they've used Neutrik connectors which look as new, and brass screws which is a nice touch.

More photos available here if interested: https://goo.gl/QFqUiQ

Not sure if I'll need to replace many components - I'm still yet to test the unit properly, but the display on the front worked and seemed to indicate it was panning!

Attachments

• 0 2018-05-09 19.13.00 copy.jpg
    0 2018-05-09 19.13.00 copy.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Wow, many thanks for these excellent pictures.  Since 30 years I wanted to know what is inside the Spanner's.

Now at the left side you can see 3 pcs. MTA1537A.  That are so called "Aphex-VCA's".  Why there are three pieces inside I don't know yet. Most of the trimmers are probably to adjust these VCA's, I wouldn't touch them at the moment.  (If one of these VCA's should be broken, then this is no reason to be worried.  These chips can be found in some of the older Behringer-stuff.)

The LM3914 is for the bargraph-display.

The ICL8038 in the middle creates the panning sine/triangle-wave.

The "digital"-part (mentioned in their promo) consists of some C-MOS-gates for the "trigger counter" which are located on the right side and marked with "CD........".

What is very good is that all of the chips are in sockets.

If you should disassemble this unit further, then please don't forget to take pictures of the solder side (for tracing a schematic).

Don't have a manual, but this review was cool.

Attachments

• Electrospace Spanner review June 1985.pdf
    991.8 KB · Views: 17
JamieOxford said:
Not sure if I'll need to replace many components - I'm still yet to test the unit properly, but the display on the front worked and seemed to indicate it was panning!

So why do you think it needs service and calibration if you have not even tested it yet?  Or do you just want a manual for future reference?  I know I love to have manuals for all my gear  ;)

Latest posts

Back