Zoom R16 Resurrection

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Deadly

Electronics Recycling is this weekend up at the ol' Bell Labs. I had a Zoom R16 digital multi-track recorder in the pile because it gradually started to loose power (particularly when handled or pressed upon) and finally stopped working all-together. Googling "Zoom R16 Dead" turned up interesting results. Apparently the trivial act of removing the SD card could bring the unit back to life. I was able to bring mine back to life but not by removing the SD card. There's a DSP board mounted underneath the controls board that uses a 60-ish pin small pitch board-to-board SMD connector. I think perhaps that become undone. After resetting the DSP daughter board connector, the R16 now works. If that was the cause, in theory someone might be able to effect the fix by just removing the bottom panel and resetting that connector but I separated the boards completely.

UPDATE:

My Zoom R16 failed to power on again. But pressing on the top just below the LCD (where the above mentioned internal board-to-board SMD connector is) resolved the issue and the unit has successfully power on again. But I also wiggled the power connector a little so that could also be involved.

Latest posts

Back