Darlington Transistor Test

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawsonaudio

I'm testing some transistors off of my Ampex MM1100 transport pwa.  They are RCA125/NTE262.  I've got them both pulled off the board.  Normally, when I've tested transistors in the past, I use the diode setting and go from base to collector/base to emitter and then reverse the polarity and do the same.  I usually get a small reading  and then OL/nothing when reversing the polarity. These are PNP transistors so I place the negative on the base and test as I explained above. 

My problem is that I'm getting a small voltage reading when I switch the polarity and place the positive lead on the base and negative lead on the emitter.  I'm also getting a positive voltage reading when I place the positive lead on the collector and negative lead on the emitter.  I get OL/nothing when I place the positive lead on the base and negative lead on the collector.

I know this is a darlington type so maybe the normal test doesn't apply.  I'm obviously doing something wrong.  I've got some brand new NTE262 alternatives and they are doing the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nate

Built–In Base–Emitter Shunt Resistor on the new NTE262.  Should I assume the original RCA125 has one as well?  I can't find much on the RCA125, but the cross reference is the NTE262.

I'm not really sure on the difference or compatibility between these two different transistors.  The Ampex manual replacement part is the MJE1090.  The NTE replacement parts online says it's a NTE262.  The breakdown voltage is a little higher on the NTE.  They both have the built in resistor network which is why I was getting the funny readings.  Would the NTE transistor be a drop-in replacement or do the spec's of the transistor need to be more precise/exact?  Below are two links to the transistor spec pdf's.

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets/newjerseysemiconductor/MJE1090-MJE1093.pdf

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/200to299/pdf/nte261.pdf

If the modern parts have adequate current and voltage spec they should work OK.  Yes the shunt resistor can show up in simple diode junction measurements.

JR

Back