Magnatone Twilighter Stereo Issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Data General

Hey everyone,

Long time (sort of) browser, first time poster (I think...?), but anyway...

I've been trying to troubleshoot a reissue Magnatone Twilighter Stereo with a clicking/popping issue that now leads to full volume oscillation.  Magnatone hasn't been much help, which is disappointing considering the amp is expensive and only has a few hours on it.  I can't find a schematic for it to boot.  Tubes have been checked, reseated, etc.  Has anyone come across one of these?  Everyone seems to be praising them, but I'm not all that impressed (flux not cleaned on solder joints, melted wire insulation...oh yeah, and no bleeders on the filter caps, which is a nice touch).  Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Gavin

Mogangretz said:
I hope so I believe the previous comment was a good idea.

What is up with these bots?  JR said they might be some student's AI project, but I'm naturally more suspicious than that.

Sorry I don't have any useful advice for the actual question posed by the OP.  :(

Data General said:
Magnatone hasn't been much help, which is disappointing considering the amp is expensive and only has a few hours on it.
Isn't this thing under warranty? Anyway, it looks like these things have not a lot in common with vintage Magnatones, so help is gonna be difficult. You would have to apply  troubleshooting #101: trace where the parasitic signal come from by shorting the input of the various stages. You should be prepared to trace the schemo yourself. Fortunately tube guitar amps are generally pretty similar. Now if this Magnatone has the frequency-shifting vibrato, that is a complex piece, but it can be relatively easily bypassed.

If the soldering is suspicious, look for cold solder joints. I’ve had powerswitch problems like this also but usually in older amps not new ones .  Trace it but I’m surprised if it’s fairly new that it wouldn’t  be under warranty. 

Back