Passive monitor controller - Help Needed!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Led_Music

I'm building a passive monitor controller and I'm curious which type of selector switch should I be using to switch between two sets of active monitors. ?
Shorting or Non-Shorting?
Thanks!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I'm pretty new to diy so ill probably be asking a lot more questions.

Is there a place for me to post updates on the build progress or should I just post it here?

Also, for the life of me I can't figure out how to design the front panel using Protocase Designer so that my 24 position attenuator
corresponds perfectly with the marking on the front panel - i.e. steps 0 through to 24.  Any tips/help would be appreciated!

Led_Music said:
I'm building a passive monitor controller and I'm curious which type of selector switch should I be using to switch between two sets of active monitors. ?
Shorting or Non-Shorting?
Thanks!
This is only one side of the coin. Shorting would make both speakers active simultaneously during teh transition, when non-shorting would result in silence between positions.
The other side is that the feed to the unused speakers should be shorted (or loaded), in order not to left the inputs floating.

abbey road d enfer said:
This is only one side of the coin. Shorting would make both speakers active simultaneously during teh transition, when non-shorting would result in silence between positions.
The other side is that the feed to the unused speakers should be shorted (or loaded), in order not to left the inputs floating.

So what are you trying to say? I'm not sure I understand.

abbey road d enfer said:
I'm saying that shorting or non-shorting is not a major issue, but making sure that the unused speaker inputs are not left floating is more important IMO.

I see. And how would I go about doing that?

Okay. I'm sure i'll figure it out eventually. 
Question about selector switches. I'm trying to order some selector switches direct from Elma but not sure which is the correct one to buy. 
Goldpoint uses an Elma switch and they call it the 4P-2T-1D. They have 4 poles on 1 deck which I assume was custom made for them.
Elma only has 2 poles per deck and so if I understand correctly, would I have to order a 2 deck to achieve 4 poles and get the same results?
All I need is to be able to switch between two sets of active balanced monitors via xlr's. With only 1 stereo source input from my DA converters. 2 in - 4 out
I'm totally new to wiring of this type so any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Would a couple of toggle switches for on/off work???? I'm just asking because I have some laying around.....Like this????

https://s20.postimg.cc/8khfkh0ml/speaker_selector_4_PDT_Question_1.jpg

I guess you could even split off of the pot instead to the other switch also?????

You're on the right track. This two-switch arrangement gives you more flexibility, you can have Mute, 1, 2, and 1+2.
I would suggest you put the potentiometers after the switches, then you would have different volume controls for each pair. The difficulty there is finding suitable quad pots; there are other arrangements that allow using only one wafer per output (one dual pot per pair of speakers).

Latest posts

Back