Sony c-100

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Was at a demo of their new mic last night. It has a unique design.  1 x electret 17mm capasule and 1 x ldc(new design) capsule.  They are working at the same time to a single mic output and according to sony there is no crossover both are full range and designed to capture hi-res or about 50k response easily. 
It's solid state and the detail was stunning.  Not a bad price point either. Around 1300(usd).
I am curious of the multiple capsule design. If the electret is always on and is Omni, how do they achieve fig-8 and cardioid when combining with the other capsule?

kingkorg said:
I want to try one so bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us60sUt_2dg

yes they played that video at the event.  8) it leaves out how polar patterns are achieved with 2 working capsules at the same time.
they even had a test set up with a guitar and such it was impressive.

They must have got it wrong, in this video he clearly says the electret capsule takes over above 25K. So there has to be crossover. I don't think it matters if it's omni above 25K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McoUl8A0uP0&t=1s

pucho812 said:
I am curious of the multiple capsule design. If the electret is always on and is Omni, how do they achieve fig-8 and cardioid when combining with the other capsule?
I don't see that one of the capsules is an electret and the other an  external bias, neither that one is omni and the other multi-pattern. It may be in an other document.
Anyway, both types of capsules could be multi-pattern, which is achieved by switching on  or off the back diaphragm.
BTW, the 17mm capsule, in its operating range (25-50kHz), is inherently very directive, due to the diffraction effect. As a result, it can hardly be considered as omni. Depending on construction, it could be either a very narrow cardioid or a narrow fig-8.

Screenshot of specs, they say Capsule: condenser + back electret.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180514-070620_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20180514-070620_Firefox.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 18
kingkorg said:
Screenshot of specs, they say Capsule: condenser + back electret.
OK; it would make sense that the electret is the 17mm and the "condenser" the 25mm.
Now, obviously the 25mm is a dual diaphragm type; what about the 17mm? They say it's the same as in the pencil mics; are there any specs of those?

kingkorg said:
One pencil is omni, the other is unidirectional.
Ok, so they are likely not dual-diaphragm; that means they combine the true multi-pattern of the 25mm with the narrow pattern of the 17mm. As nobody can hear the 25-50kHz octave, does it matter?
For me this notion of "hi-rez" capture is marketing blurb.
In practice, the natural roll-off of most microphones at high frequencies is a bonus in most cases, as it combines well with the anti-aliasing filters in A/D converters. I would think we may find out that using these mics on cymbals may reveal converter problems. I don't know what is the feedback on similar extended frequency microphones (Earthworks).

kingkorg said:
They must have got it wrong, in this video he clearly says the electret capsule takes over above 25K. So there has to be crossover. I don't think it matters if it's omni above 25K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McoUl8A0uP0&t=1s
The sony guy said no crossover

abbey road d enfer said:
What does he know?
It doesn't take long in the interview to figure out that when the answer needs to go beyond the limits of the prefab blurb he has learnt by heart, he is out of resources.
Well he does the pro audio repair facility so o assume he knows something,  but you are probably correct.

I would trust Andy Munitz from Sony in the video. He clearly says there is crossover, i dont think he would have wrong info.

This might help explain things!

Also this is a great mic I love mine!!!

http://www.josephson.com/pdf/srs7ug6_rohs.pdf

Back