-

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen to what you just said!

For me, I very much admire the unpaid jobs I do for my friends.
Sometimes when I get bored in the studio I organize small Jams in the Studio for my mixed talented friends and local guys. :)
Some have small projects that will never go big nor might be worth even recording, but still working on some of them is so chilled.
If I set one drum mic, no one will ask stupid questions or tell me all he knows about drum micing.  ;D
And I can make much more experiments than together with clients.

Sometimes I force my friends to release something in a very small quantity.
That makes a difference to me sometimes.
You know, I could record their live show or art performance etc.. But not for the drawer.
I want some recordings to be heard by at least some other folks.
So I mention my cassette copy machine and say: "We can make a cassette release of 30 pices and you will have to make a cool release party and sell some tapes...... I copy one Tape for 2€"
So I get a copy job, the band organizes a cash box...... and In the end... a cool party. :)

For the Studiojams I always send out some recordings to the people who showed up. Thats all for free, but It also seeds new ideas to the people around you.
In my life I am not surrounded by a lot of super professional musicians. But cool projects can rise without everyone being the greatest.
I just send out a jam recording today. My goal was to record the Jam with 2 mics only and see how good I can get.
In the end this jam was not very crowded and left me with a very unbalanced recording, but hey I had Drums Git and Bass on only 1 mic for all. 
https://hearthis.at/dereber-ot/18-03-18-baerli-abschiedsjam-2mics-WvR/WvR
(the raps were not part of the original, but is my way of showing these 4 guys to be good enough for a Rap Instrumental)
8)

So I totally like your approach and say go for it!
So, what could be useful for everyone here is that you share a little what kind of music and projects you personally dig the most.
Maybe we can organize a small GDIY release. :D

all the best,
Stephan

Do you know about the Cambridge multitrack library that Mike Senior does? There are lots of projects there and a forum where people share their mixes. Good stuff. 

Latest posts

Back