Studer 089 mk I modules layout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych60s

Hello everyone

I'm servicing a Studer 089 Mk I, which is quite different from the Mk II.  I know that a lot of schematics are available in the Studer PDF but I'd like to know the module layout underneath the console. I have the outline drawing for the Mk II version but the module layout is quite different from the Mk I.

I'd like to be sure that the modules installed in the console in front of me are correct.  Does someone has it?

Thanks!

Hi

You mean the slots hierarchical loading ?
MKI is 15 modules frame (MKII is 16)
MKI have monitoring at meter bridge, for what I guess 12 left hands is input, two right hands is master
slot 13 may depend ... default blank, option can have comp-lim, tape remote, mono sum fader...

You don't have that many choices. what modules and qqties do you have ?

Pictures welcome  8)

Best
Zam

(289 user)

Hello Zam

I'm talking about the modules underneath the channels. I have, from left to right

1  Empty
2  Empty
3  Peak level meter
4  Peak level meter
5  Line amp
6  Line amp
7  3W amp
8  3W amp
9  Line amp
10  Line amp
11 Power Supply
12 Oscillator

I should add for n°9 and 10 that the modules didn't fill the space, bigger modules could probably be installed there. I'm especially thinking of 20W amplifier modules.

Last, I've noticed that my console has a 1.090.035 line amp fitted. Studer didn't include the schematics for that one in their pdf.

Hi

Ok, you talk about the cards, I misunderstand...

If frame label strip is missing you can only guess.
You better check pinout and wire in/out at the back 33 pin connectors. You will ensure slot card function
Are you sure slots 1 and 2 is not missing line amp for rev 1-2 out ? do they have connectors ?

You only have 4 line out, I suppose you need 6, 2 master, 2 aux(rev), 2 monitor
3W amp may be for PFL speaker and TB out

OR you miss two power amp (for monitor) an you'll need to feed slot 1 and 2 with line out

Not sure for MKI frame but at MKII monitor out use 2 space slot, for power amp OR line out amp (with extra blank panel), pinout is compatible for both configuration (you can swap card at least for MKII)

Can't help for the MKI mono line out schemo, IIRC they have a small Beyer input TX and A101, single sided pcb, should be easy to draw.

Best
Zam

Hello Zam

No problem! I've found that line amps in slots 5&6 are for the reverb sends. They are 1.090.036 cards, schemos are in the pdf so it's ok.

Regarding the 1.090.035, it has discrete amps, no A101 on it. That's quite an old design, I'll take pics and take some time to draw a schemo. I'll post it here (juste need to find some time to do it).

An interesting thing to note, if I remove every line amp card, I still have signal from the master outputs. So it appears that the Mk I doesn't need line amps for the masters. Or the console I have was modified.

psych60s said:
An interesting thing to note, if I remove every line amp card, I still have signal from the master outputs. So it appears that the Mk I doesn't need line amps for the masters. Or the console I have was modified.

Yes.. my bad... completely forget MKI have master sum and line out at main modules
(MKII have master sum at fader modules and line out at the card, main module for routing or comp/lim slot)
Your note make total sense !
And you certainly don't miss line out as I wrongly stated previously.
Best
Zam

You're right about the other modules. 3W amps are for PFL and talkback. The other two are a bit of mystery, in that particular console at least. One is wired to the monitor output, so I presume they were intended to drive these outputs. You could use either line amps if you have external power amps or the bigger 20W amplifiers to feed your speakers directly.

Someone has been in there and one monitor out is still wired but it seems the other module is wired to the talkback board... Don't know why they did that. It is hard to know for sure without dismantling the entire console.

Back