Neumann N52a max current

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdock

Hey folks,

I have the chance to buy a N52a PSU for quite cheap. I read in one datasheet that the max heater current is 110ma but on some schematics I see 180ma or 155ma...
The thing is, I would like to use it with 6S6b equiped mics which draws around 200ma.
Does someone have experience with these supplies and knows if they have more power than stated? Or would it be easy to mod them?
I would probably have to exchange the stock power transformer for a new one, right? And recalculate some resistor values?

The 180mA are the current that is actually drawn when the microphone is plugged in, not the maximum available. I'm sure the supply won't mind a couple of mA more. The question is  if you want to underheat the tube since it outputs roughly 4V.  If not you can adjust R7 for higher voltage. And if that is not enough, remove the lamp in the AC part of the circuit, and add a series resistor after the rectifier to get the desired output voltage.

Back