Trident tsm yes or no

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

A local I know has fallen on bad times booth health and financial. While I will not air laundry, the effect is some studio equipment including a trident tsm has to be removed with in 6 weeks.  The condition of the desk is unknown other then  the following a couple of broken meters that were sheered off, dead power supply(1 of 2), several faders need cleaning on the eq's. 
So would you make a jump on such a desk? Are parts available for the desk? I suspect faders would be hard to come by but the rest could be sourced or substituted.
If you did jump on it,  what would you value it as?
Bouncing opinions around

There seems to be quite a bit of info on them at Gearslutz from past owners. There were quite a few threads there that go over some mod's people have done and other things, but i think the general consensus was that they were pretty decent, with the eq and layout of things being nice to work with.

I don't doubt how good they sound.

I am wondering if some parts are unobtainable? Would it be worth it to save it? In current condition what would you offer for it wanting to be fair?

I'd probably find out what he wants and then make him an offer based on realistic information acquired. I mean, you could be looking at a fair amount of time and effort to get all it all together + any modifications on top of that. Usually like everything else, people are asking too much. Sounds like it needs some TLC. I'd probably get it for as good a price as I could, again considering all of the information at hand. And I'd probably keep it all together vs break it up.

Ok. I know the person. I know they have 6 weeks left to find a person to take it or else.  This is due to personal issues on their end, I know vk and primal gear both rejected  consignment on it and do not want to take it in for work to sell it later...
I know he wants 60k for it which is 60k to much if you ask me. Trying to be fair here.

60k is way too much imo.

I was going to say 15-20 in 'decent' shape. There's a guy on gearslutz called zanderwestcoast that just bought and refurbished one. I'd send him a pm and see if he can offer any advice.

For 60k I'd buy a new Neve or API, or...etc  :eek:

Last I saw one for sale,  the asking price was 25k and the console was as mint as one could get minus a few scuff marks.  That was on reverb for ages and I don't know if it sold or what it sold for.
This console is known to be not working and beat up worse then I have seen.

iampoor1 said:
60k? I think 10-15k is much more reasonable....if it needs to be gone in six weeks expect less. Sucky situation!
60K ?
wow  :eek:
with that budget is possible buy used Api console ,
so large Neve V series desk or SSL 4000 in great working shape
(ready to work lot of songs….with instant fun..)
also with a various cool outboards processors setup ,

pucho812 said:
I would take it  for free, knowing it needs work but would not want to offer up $$ for it.

I agree ,
if the desk is not in good working condition  (at least 80%)
and also require a good recap on each channel + power supply (especially if never done )
(considered also the time quantity required)

it is not easy to  give it a honest price ,
cheers

pucho812 said:
I would take it  for free, knowing it needs work but would not want to offer up $$ for it.
+1  IMO basket cases are good for old motorcycles, but not old consoles. If its a popular model you might be able to harvest parts/modules to keep other old soldiers working.

JR

We have a resolution on this, we'll sort of.  I found my buddy a buyer.  let's see if my buddy takes the offer. For me the plan was helping a muso friend out so we will see if it works.

Latest posts

Back