At4040 capsule swap

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffertypr

So guys, for some time ago i had an at4040 that had a damaged capsule (made weird noises, hums, hisses) but since i live in south americathe rate to repair my mic was really high. I Got a Cad gxl 2200 from a client and i decided to give the mic the classic caps upgrade amd throw a 47 capsule in it. Since i took put the k67 capsule from it i installed it in my 4040 and i must tell you guys it sounds really good! The only prt where i had to frankenstein a bit was in the capsule mount and saddle but i made it!

The capsule sits a little bit hi but it doesnt touch the headbasket. It sounds great, and i prefer having it with that capsule than having nothing at all.

Attachments

• 5A2B6374-A942-4CE9-A06F-AF2F598E78D8.jpeg
    5A2B6374-A942-4CE9-A06F-AF2F598E78D8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
it's a nice mic, i would ask tim for a cardioid (or dual) tim campbell ct12 (if it exists...) and have an world class mic...
my 2 cents...
regards

granger.frederic said:
it's a nice mic, i would ask tim for a cardioid (or dual) tim campbell ct12 (if it exists...) and have an world class mic...
my 2 cents...
regards

+1

granger.frederic said:
my 2 cents...
regards

Well the thing is i am modding another mic to use a c12 capsule with it. I camt explain it, but this mic with the k67 capsule has a sort of a tlm103 vibe to it. I knos its not the same but this way you coyld undeestand the color of this mic

From what I'm understanding the K67 in the AT4040 is the one fron the CAD right? Doesn't it use the usual harsh Chinese capsule? Does the AT4040 have corrective EQ in it? It doesn't seem like it with the really airy sound it has. If not like others said a premium aftermarket C12 capsule could be a nice fit. Putting a K47 capsule in there could be interesting too, don't know how good it would sound compared to an AT4047, but that's a pretty flat mic. I've heard it has a center terminated capsule similar to a K47.

Well, basically  if you move that Cad capsule to Audio Technica you get the same sound you had with stock Cad.

Sure, the head basket of AT is different, so there could be some difference. But I doubt it will lose any of that infamous top end, nor gain lacking low end. But  if you like it, use it. Nothing horribly wrong with it, Aston uses it, Telefunken... some clever EQ and it's perfectly usable mic. On acoustic guitars I am sure it would beat your upgraded CAD with k47.

You can try with others though. Rayking C12 is 30 bucks plus shipping, 3U Audio's smooth  k67 is great and about 100 bucks. You have already k47, you don't need another one.

Well it doesnt sound as harsh as the cad.  The 4040 was a pleasant surprise with the 67 capsule.  The hi end doesnt soynd harsh so i think the mic could have some hi freq control.

Could be. A lot of times "harshness" comes from combination of capsule and grille and internal acoustics. Maybe polarisation voltage?

Last mic i modded Perception 400 sounds suddenly like a  1.000.000$ when grille is totally removed.

However it had to have some shielding, so i made my own mesh. It's ugly as hell now, but i don't care, sounds good.

I had a few lucky moments when things just work great for no apparent reason, so i leave them that way.

If you like it, just use it.

kingkorg said:
Could be. A lot of times "harshness" comes from combination of capsule and grille and internal acoustics. Maybe polarisation voltage?

Last mic i modded Perception 400 sounds suddenly like a  1.000.000$ when grille is totally removed.

However it had to have some shielding, so i made my own mesh. It's ugly as hell now, but i don't care, sounds good.

I had a few lucky moments when things just work great for no apparent reason, so i leave them that way.

If you like it, just use it.

Yes exactly, and the audio technica has great circuit components and the grill is really good. I Like the sound a lot, i had a newmann tlm 103 and it is like a little brother of it!

Latest posts

Back