UREI LA-5 Mods?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alsgro

I have an old UREI LA-5 that’s already been modded many years ago to have the LA-4 ratio selector added.  My question is: does anyone know of any worthwhile mods to make this behave/Sound more like an LA-3A?? 

Are they worlds apart design / component-wise?

Alsgro said:
I have an old UREI LA-5 that’s already been modded many years ago to have the LA-4 ratio selector added.  My question is: does anyone know of any worthwhile mods to make this behave/Sound more like an LA-3A?? 

Have a look

http://www225.pair.com/audio/waltzingbear/Schematics/Urei/LA_3A.htm

Attachments

• urei_la-5_audio_leveling_sch(1).pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 15
Alsgro said:

Apart from the discrete/IC difference, which is not significant as long as the design brief is similar, the huge difference is the LA3 uses the T4 element, when the LA5 uses an LED-based optoresistor. That is a big difference since the T4 has quirky response time, which makes it particularly loved by some and hated by others.
The T4 is a high voltage device; modding an LA5 for this in an extensive job.

I appreciate all the input!  Thanks, all.  I may sell the unit to finance another build. ;)

Latest posts

Back