Reliqua 312 Quad - Power Supply??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hebjam

Hi,

I got this from an eBay seller and he said it is 220v/ 50hz.    Anyone know what voltage converter i could get to run this in Canada?  Or is there a power supply available from CAPI or JLM Audio?  Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 42
hebjam said:
Hi,

I got this from an eBay seller and he said it is 220v/ 50hz.    Anyone know what voltage converter i could get to run this in Canada?  Or is there a power supply available from CAPI or JLM Audio?  Thanks!

Hello,

don‘t know what voltage setup you need in canada.
But if this unit is from JLM,why not ask Joe himself?
He is a very kind and helpfull guy,dońt be shy,Íˋm sure your little issue is easy to solve.

Best regards,

Udo.

Hi, 

No it is not from JLM,  just the chassis is.    In Canada it is 120v /  60hz.    Thanks for the help!

Convert the supply. Open it up and take a look. Post pics. If you're really lucky the transformer will have an extra wire for 120 and you just need to re-solder one or two wires. If not, you could find a transformer with a 120V primary which shouldn't be too hard. Just need to know the right voltages and VA rating.

Dual voltage transformers have two windings, so four wires on the primary. The two windings are wired in parallel for 110 V and in series for 220 V

If the power transformer has four wires to the primary you should be able to rewire it for 110

Nick Froome

Here is the power supply,  does it look like it is dual? 

Attachments

• IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Looks like it might. You need to unbolt the transformers so that we can get a closer look at the primaries. But I can see at least one unused eyelet on the transformer on the left. If that has continuity with the primary connections that are used, that would indicate that there are alternative primary taps (which would suggest 110VAC).

Or it could be that you need to re-wire the secondaries. There are a couple of unused eyelets on the secondary side (assuming those are secondary taps). Post pics of both sides and particularly any markings.

You are sure that it's wired for 220VAC right? You could actually plug it in and run it as-is and look at the rectified voltage which would be ~half of whatever it's suppose to be if it's wired for 220VAC. Just be careful if you do that though as the chassis and build is slightly sketchy (not grounded metal enclosure anyways).

It looks like there are two open terminals on each tranny

Attachments

• IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I had tried to plug the unit in with this power supply and get  no signal on any of the 4 channels.  So I assume it is wired at 220 now.

Thanks for the help!  Do you mean move the red wires to the center eyelets on both transformers?  I've never messed with this stuff!

Just move the red wires to here(where i marked with X)?  I think they are in series now, is that ok? Should they be in parallel after?

Attachments

• IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Correct. Look at the numbers under each eyelet. Right now the red wires are connected to 220V. So just move them to 110V. So red to center eyelet of the left transformer and then from there to the 110V eyelet of the right transformer. Same arrangement, just moved from 220V to 110V eyelets.

However, there is a potential issue. Because they are not split primaries, the power rating will effectively be halved. But I don't think it will be an issue. Those transformers look fairly large for what they're being asked to do. Each of those preamps probably draw maybe 100mA or so. So 400mA in total. And it looks like each transformer / supply board is identical so that would suggest that each is for 2 preamps. If I had to guess, I would say someone bought those as a cheap kit which means the transfomers are probably right for either 110V or 220V. But just to be safe, first check it without the load (without being connected to the unit) and check the voltages to see that it's working at all. Then, connect it to the unit and then, with the cover off, turn it on and listen for any hum. If the transformers are too small you might actually be able to hear it hum. If you hear any hum at all, that's not really good. If one get's hot, that's obviously a bad sign. Careful not to touch any of the exposed wires inside of course. Even after you turn it off, there could be some voltage that hasn't discharged (especially if there's no load attached). You can also check the output voltages with the power on if you're careful. If they dip by more than a 100mV with the load connected, that might be a bad sign. But I would say 90% chance it will work just fine (assuming it worked before you bought it).

Ok, so i tried this and still no sound from any of the channels.  i do hear hiss and the pots bring up the hiss.  but no other signal.  I am wondering if I should buy another power supply or what the issue could be?  The seller already refunded me, and I said i would try to fix it and get him some money back.  Anyone have an idea what could be going on?  or a power supply that would work (this uses the 10 pin)  Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 16
So i plugged in the power supply and touched the pins and i get no readings. these are the pins i touched the ohm meter to.  I know the meter works because i put it in the wall outlet and I get 115v

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Hello,

I don’t know if my eyes are fooling me,but is that rust I seem to see on the output transformers?
Same on the holes for ventilation at the bottom of the pcbs?
If so then you might have way more trouble than a not (yet) working psu!

Hope that I am wrong this time,

Udo.

hebjam said:
So i plugged in the power supply and touched the pins and i get no readings. these are the pins i touched the ohm meter to.  I know the meter works because i put it in the wall outlet and I get 115v
Wait please!

It does not seem you have understood what member squarewave meant.
Don‘t fool with mains voltages!
You are talking of an ohm meter,measuring ac on the wall outlet while we are looking for dc supply voltages!
Please let somebody do that for you,this is way too dangerous.
I am serious about that!

Udo.

You should be able to read AC on the mains input socket. But that's not really what I meant. I was suggesting that you look at the voltages on the cable coming out of the PS that plugs into the preamp. But if the AC in socket doesn't have anything on it that would be a problem of course.

It sounds like you could use some help though. Are you sure you have the meter set correctly? Everything up to transformer primaries is going to be AC. After that (or after the rectifier diodes anyways) it's DC. So you have to set your meter accordingly.

My gut is that this preamp, despite looking rather bad, could work perfectly with a little work. But if you're not sure about basic wiring and using a meter and such, you need to find a nerdy neighbor to help you.

And as kante1603 points out, AC is a little dangerous. Unless you're grounded (are you working on this in the bath tub?) it's not going to kill you but it won't be fun. Take care.

Latest posts

Back