high plate voltage on one side of a 12ax7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
samgraysound said:
That's what I'm saying. The actual components are not matching the schematic. The general circuit is the same but there is a number of differences.

On this stage:
Plate resistor is 100k instead of 220k
Grid resistor is 1M instead of 10M
Cathode has a 1.2k resistor and 47uf cap instead of being grounded.

Looks like someone modified it to use cathode bias instead of grid leak bias. 

Gene Pink said:
Grid and cathode are the same voltage, so tube should be full-on like a diode, with lots of current through the plate resistor, and a low voltage at the plate.

This indicates a bad tube, but you already tried a known working tube.

You are probably not actually checking the tube pin voltages, you are checking the socket voltages, and assuming that they are the same. If you can get in there, can you get to the end of the actual pins? Measure between a pin and it's socket, looking for any voltage. Sockets do go bad, loss of spring tension, corrosion, etc..

Just a longshot.

Gene

Alas the socket has a shield mount thingy so I couldn't get at the pins.

So I replaced the socket. Now it is all new socket, all new caps and resistors for all pins. New ground wire. Put another new 12ax7 in there.

No difference :( . Still no voltage on Cathode, extra high plate voltage.

Could it be some sort of heater issue? It is reading 6.3vac across pins and 4 and 5, with pin 9 grounded.

Sam

So you have 6.3v between pins 4 and 5? And 9 grounded? Is either 4 or 5 at ground? If so, you are only lighting up one side of the tube. Look at the tube, see if both sides are lit.

It was the heater wiring!

So I guess a bad mod job? What's weird is it was all period components so it must have been a bad mod from like 1962?

Attachments

• IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Do you all think I need to replace these melty wax and paper caps? That happened during a brief issue witha shorted wire while I was working on it.

pic:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1haDCpvHmhZM9hFNpl308Tfl8wO_qa3Dp

Latest posts

Back