Anybody ever open/mod an iSK CM-20?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

I decided to try my luck with the iSK CM-20C which is like a standalone Little Gem with the super cardioid capsule. I've heard really great sounding recordings with the iSK small diaphragm mics including the Little Gem, but I'm finding the mic to be a bit too dark on my voice. Which I think is strange because it has that Chinese mic high end hype, so I expected it to be really bright. I could always return it but it was only $25 before tax and I'd probably have to pay about $17-$20 to ship it back and it would take like 10 business days to get there.

So if anyone has modded one before how do you get it open? There are no screws and the capsule isn't detachable (as in it's not a modular mic), and the end and capsule pieces don't seem to twist off. Are there any recommended 16mm super cardioid DIY capsules? The small capsules I can find are all just listed as unidirectional, but I'd like a super cardioid specifically if that's possible.

Icantthinkofaname said:
I've heard really great sounding recordings with the iSK small diaphragm mics including the Little Gem, but I'm finding the mic to be a bit too dark on my voice.
Maybe your voice is actually very dark; have you compared with other mics?

So if anyone has modded one before how do you get it open? There are no screws and the capsule isn't detachable (as in it's not a modular mic), and the end and capsule pieces don't seem to twist off.
I would think it should unscrew, but they probably have put threadlock, so you have to find a way to exert enough force without damaging the body. You may want to ask a watch repair shop, since they have a good understanding on how to dismantle things without breaking them.

abbey road d enfer said:
Maybe your voice is actually very dark; have you compared with other mics?

I would think it should unscrew, but they probably have put threadlock, so you have to find a way to exert enough force without damaging the body. You may want to ask a watch repair shop, since they have a good understanding on how to dismantle things without breaking them.
I get a pretty accurate sound from my 3U Audio CM1. Sounds like I how I hear my voice minus the bass you hear in your own voice.

In a direct test the CM-20C is getting noticably more bass heavy sound. Actually comparing the 2 with compression the CM-20C isn't sounding half bad, but raw it sounds bassier for some reason. I don't have the most articulate voice so a lot of bass isn't my friend.

The CM-20C is definitely great at rejecting background noise though (part of the reason I got it is for rush recording in less than ideal spaces) and it's picking up a lot less of my PC fan hum (not that I intend to record right next to my PC but for testing purposes that's where my desk is).

So after compression and normalizing it actually does sound pretty close and I think it's quite usable for me. I don't know why it bugs me so much raw though. But I'm not an audio engineer or recording expert by any means.

Back