Converter broken - where to look?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
living sounds said:
OK guys, I found the problem: I shouldn't be messing with electronics late at night. I somehow had a digital highpass filter switched on in the DAW by accident. The converter is working all right.  ::)

Sorry for bothering you and thank you for your time.

It's usually something simple. 

I've had to go on one console service call because some studio guy pressed the wrong button in the master section and lost the control room monitors.... (something else assigned to them that wasn't playing).

Long expensive ride just to press one button.  ::)

=======

The flip side of this is when you have a real problem and the service techs don't believe you. They keep telling you to unplug and reset the software.  :mad: I once had to lie to the phone company and say that my phone didn't work (while I was calling them with it) when I was actually having intermittent DSL signal level .

I would have had to pay them if they didn't find a problem with my line but sure enough they found where a squirrel had chewed through the insulation less than 100 yards from my house (did I mention I hate squirrels).

But I understand the sentiment that customers are often idiots (the loose nut behind the wheel), after decades of dealing with the public.

Glad your fix was easy..  These don't always have happy endings.

JR 

living sounds said:
And a teachable moment in conscientiousness. Next time I'll check all angles systematically before I pull gear out of the racks. Or so I hope.  ;D

My first go to (which was not automatic some time ago...) when I have a gear "failure"...
-is the power plug connected ?-

No joke...
Since I'm way more efficient to fix my gear...  :-X

It's dumb as hell but with our tool there is lot of them with lot of things to plug/connect/check, and you miss the last one before hitting power switch

Best
Zam

JohnRoberts said:
Long expensive ride just to press one button.  ::)
Since we are telling "oops" stories, this one is on me.

Last week, I pulled an intermittent starter relay out of my daily driver pickup truck. Used a 14' boxtruck, 12,000 GVW, to go fetch a part that fits in your hand, as that truck hadn't made a run in months, it is good to run them now and then to find problems before you have to count on them for work.

But no A/C, and it is about 98F outside. It held freon pressure for two years after finding and fixing leaks for four years every spring before that, thought I was finally done with this.

First reaction, jump the low pressure cutoff switch to confirm the freon leaked out, compressor clutch should have engaged, but nothing happened.

Confirm freon charge with A/C gauges, 105 PSI is right where it should be at that temperature, for having at least some liquid left in the system.

Gotta be electrical. Get test light, find hand-drawn schematic of the test points I put in years ago, check  from ground to each, nothing, no voltage. Move test light common clip to 12V+,  and probe again, lights up at all points, the A/C circuit seems intact to ground. Check the fuse even though the cabin fan runs, same fuse, and of course, it is fine.

So fan runs, A/C doesn't. Dig out the Haynes manual with many schematics, to trace. Get stronger glasses to read these tiny things.The only thing between the A/C and the fan is the dashboard mounted control head. Problem has to be in there, or the wiring to or from it.

So I go take a good look at what it takes to pull the control head out, and get access to the wiring behind. Not too complex, just temperature blend slider, fan speed switch, and a mode control.

Wait, MODE CONTROL?

With stronger glasses, I notice it is set to HEAT, and I swear that lever was smirking at me the whole time. Switched it to A/C and it everything worked just fine.

A full-on "Duhhhhh" moment, on me.

Gene

Latest posts

Back