Gyraf GSSL 50kohm Pots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcRoyal

HI there,
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm getting nowhere on the Farnell website.  We just received two cheap looking Bourns 50KOHM pots but they work and we're ready to wrap the build up.  Is there much to gain from upgrading to nicer Vishays and is there any difference in this scenario between cermet and conductive plastic models?

I am specifically looking at improving the "feel" of the pots.

When selecting pots, you can use 47K just as well as 50K. European pots tend to be in 10, 22 and 47 values whereas elsewhere they tend to be 10, 25 and 50 values. As they are all usually only specified to 20% they are pretty much interchangeable.

Cheers

Ian

Yeh we were looking at 47k pots as well but pretty thin on the ground, we finally found some very nice Vishay Sfernice P11S's that are military grade and good for 2 million cycles, only 10 quid a pop as well, not happy with the shitty Bourns as the shafts are plastic.

The feel of pots is a bit subjective and doesn't necessarily  correlate with price.  So just get a few and try.

Generally stick with carbon and conductive plastic models for front panel controls.

There's really no need for supa-dupa uberexpensive pots in those positions. They are just voltage dividers and don't pass audio. For a nice feel you can check out Alpha (Taiwan) pots. They are cheap and have a nice feel to them.

andow said:
I always thought about putting stepped pots in my GSSL. Any recommendations?

How precise those steps are? For mastering grade you'll probably need switches anyway. It's interesting to know if anybody has actually measured the stepped pot resistance at each step.
If you're fine with 12 positions you can use cheap Lorlin switches that should turn out not too much more expensive than a stepped pot.

Ilya said:
There's really no need for supa-dupa uberexpensive pots in those positions. They are just voltage dividers and don't pass audio. For a nice feel you can check out Alpha (Taiwan) pots. They are cheap and have a nice feel to them.

The Vishays feel way better than the bourns we originally ordered, sturdy, serious and NO wobble, and not that much more expensive, the unit needs 2 pots, it's hardly insane to spend 10 quid per pot as opposed to 6.  A real 19" G Series would cost me $7,000 CAD after shipping, taxes and import duty, even with splashing out on nice pots I'm not up to $450, it's a no brainer and they're good for 2 million cycles as opposed to 100,000 for the Bourns or 15,000 for the Alphas.

Ilya said:
How precise those steps are? For mastering grade you'll probably need switches anyway. It's interesting to know if anybody has actually measured the stepped pot resistance at each step.
If you're fine with 12 positions you can use cheap Lorlin switches that should turn out not too much more expensive than a stepped pot.

I thought about the stepped pots that for example are in the Gyraf G10, so at least 20 steps. I don't think it would make a difference quality wise if you would use a switch instead of a pot, they're not in the signal chain anyway....

Those Chinese Dact type stepped pots are actually pretty good.....Not really switches and I don't know what kind of tapers they come in but.... figured I'd throw it out there..... they have a slight switched feel to them...nice feel....

I had a monitor control with one of them and it was very accurate....

Back