Has anyone tried the Blore-Edwards 600Ω T-Pads?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee_M

Just spotted these 600Ω T-pads on the Blore-Edwards site.

https://www.blore-ed.com/product-page/3-45-600r-attenuator-potentiometer

I can see they're a new arrival, so this might be a longshot...but has anyone tried them out?

Like the CAPI and Hairball, an approximated T pad rather than a true T pad.  Should work the same as the aforementioned with a minimum 1dB loss in a 600 ohm line, rather than a proper 0dB minimum loss.  Since they also don't go completely open, you don't want to put a 600 ohm load resistor on them, you need to adjust upwards. 

Ok, I get ya. So they're not a perfect recreation of the "old-skool" t-pads, but they're comparable with the competition.

The price difference is a big advantage over the CAPI and Hairball, particularly for those of us on this side of the Atlantic.

I've used Blore-Ed pots for a few projects (they're very good for custom pots at low prices with no MOQ) and they've always served me well, so I can't see quality being an issue.

EmRR said:
Since they also don't go completely open, you don't want to put a 600 ohm load resistor on them, you need to adjust upwards

What do you mean by "adjust upwards"?

It’s minimum loading is 1K, unlike a correct T which goes open at the off position, so a load resistor of 2K2 gives a minimum load of 710R.  620R load resistor would make it load at 383R. 

1K may be fine for your purposes, and not need a load resistor at all.  The curve will be bunched into one part of the throw more than it would be with a proper T, none of which are available as new parts today.  A proper T will not have proper throw unless it's in a true 600 ohm circuit, either from source/load Z's or resistor adjusted. 

Latest posts

Back