Extra long (+32mm) gold plated pin headers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These breakable 0.1" headers are highly available on Mouser and Digikey and such in all sorts of different forms (36 position is common). Here's the catalog for 3M 929 which I used for one project:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/43897O/3mtmpinstriphdr-100-100x-100-929-series-ts0769.pdf

These max out at about 1.2" though. The ones in your pic are pretty crazy long.

Although for breakable headers, Ebay is probably a pretty good deal actually. It's kinda hard to screw up headers.

You only need gold plating if the mating contacts are also gold. In fact, if they're not the same metal, you will get a corrosive reaction. Mating metals should always be the same.

Thanks Square and Ian.

"Are these for use between two parallel boards??"
Yes, thanks.

"if [mating contacts] are not the same metal, you will get a corrosive reaction. Mating metals should always be the same."
Hmm.  I've chosen ENIG over HASL in the past, but I planned on using aluminum risers on pads, as well as some other stuff that is not gold plated. This concern regarding different metals and corrosion is adding another variable I didn't know existed. :/

Even if the mated contacts are engulfed in solder, contact resistances may be affected down the road?!?

boji said:
Hmm.  I've chosen ENIG over HASL in the past, but I planned on using aluminum risers on pads, as well as some other stuff that is not gold plated. This concern regarding different metals and corrosion is adding another variable I didn't know existed. :/

Even if the mated contacts are engulfed in solder, contact resistances may be affected down the road?!?
Galvanic corrosion depends on a lot of things. You need a DC current, dissimilar metals, a little moisture and some time. It depends on what the two metals are, what the electrolyte is (presumably dirty water with a dash of flux). You need a degree in Chemistry to say for sure but I have a degree in Chemistry and I still can't say for sure! Or just Google "galvanic corrosion tin gold".

If you have a choice, just try to use the same metals throughout. IMO there's no need for gold. You're not building an airplane. It's going to be in a nice climate controlled environment right? So tin plated is fine.

"You're not building an airplane."

Sure as eck feels like it!  ;D

Thanks SW

EDIT: Also, cool, now I get why solder uses certain chem, and why tin is so prevalent as a contact metal, despite its lower than optimal conductance.
fZi5f0J.jpg

https://blog.samtec.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Galvanic-Corrosion-Chart2.jpg

Latest posts

Back