Analog chains...need advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugo

Hi,
I am finishing my studio ; here is the list of my gears and i would like to make like 3 or 4 channels strips for mixing /mastering :

Neve :
2x 1073
2x 2254

UA:
2xLa-2a
1x1176ln
1x1176rev.A

Pultec:
2xEqp1a
2xMeq5

Gates STA level

Sontec 432

Drip: 2x Opto6

Pendulum PL-2

DR1602 Summing box
Mixbuzz

I am looking for making the most connections in analog domain,  i would like to finish with nice analog chains.
What would be your choices ?.. I keep my own ideas for the moment, too curious about what you would make at my place.. Selling gears is also a part of the project, but i cant decide..
I am mixing lot of trip hop and rap stuffs (old fashioned), and occasionally make some mastering. I occasionaly rent the studio to other engineers .
Cheers !
H

That's quite a nice list already.

For tracking I could see adding API style and clean style pres for some different flavors.

For mixing which do use for mix bus eq and compression?  The sontec and mixbuzz?

I could see adding a stereo fet comp for parallel drums.

For mixing it's also nice having EQs for individual tracks.  550 style gives weight and color.  SSL style when you really need to dig in and sculpt

"here is the list of my gears"

You got good gear so it's going to be hard to get bad sound if you remain logical about it.

Let's assume you have the SM7B and some others nice mic's that will fit with your client's voice.
I'd say your AD/DA and mixbus will physically will be the most influential in the end, since rap is 95% VSTi's nowadays.
More so than which comp and eq should go where in the chain.  Nevertheless, use your ears.

I'd also say experiment. Try out conventional signal flow with the gear you have but only if it means you are trying to fit in and not stand out. Try to 'reinvent the circle' to your tastes, but be sure to listen to the feedback of your clients and studio friends.

I suppose the reason I put my reply this way and not with a list of connections is because, if you look at the history of recording, some of the best sound that put people on the map was done by breaking convention.  For example (apologies if you already knew this), gated toms that became ubiquitous in the 80's was born out of someone getting the idea to track a reverse talkback mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxz6jShW-3E

Wire everything to a patchbay.
As you have it you can break a mix out, process a number of stems and independent tracks, go into your summing amp, and then process the stereo mix. If you have everything wired to a patchbay you can easily change which units you're using and still have everything feeding your summing amp.

Yes, like i said, i plan to sell some of them.
I occasionnaly rent the studio for engineers who would like a simplier way to use hardware, like channels strips..
1176 ->la2a -> pultec meq5
summing -> sontec -> mixbuzz
that kind of things..
i removed the patchbay because of recalling problems, so thats why typical chains is the best solution for me and my clients..
i heared all of your comments, Thanks for your support.

pucho812 said:
I was always a big amek channel in a box fan. While the compressor is o.k. the eq and the preamp are amazing.

Also could consider an avalon 737

Hi thanks for support,
but i think more to sell units than to add more...i would like to use the less I/O on my audio interface, by setting up strips like Neve 1073->La2a->PL-2 .  / MEQ->EQP->2254 / etc...

These are normal chains anyway.

And mastering is different than mixing. Different switches, frequencies, purposes, etc.

Bunch of good preamps, eq's, compressors and effects units. Oh, don't forget the mike's! Is normal for any tracking/mixing situation.

Back