Such Thing as Pot Nut Sleeve Extends Through Faceplate?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasbeen

I have a pot that has a threaded shaft too short to comfortably grab with a hex nut on the other side of the panel.

Is there a threaded sleeve with a hex or flat head that will reach through the panel and grab the thread on the pot?

The control shaft is plenty long.

Thanks

:-\

Maybe some kind of insert nut.....Or maybe there's some kind of ferrule/barrel/flange
nut thingy that could work???

Where are you located??? We have an Ace hardware that always has some obscure stuff..... That other places don't

Interesting problem.... May have to get creative if nobody has a solution....

Maybe a different pot??

Yes they exist,  have seen them on some gear.  But haven't found a source to buy them.

My solution was to mill a depth into the faceplate to give enough thread. Finding the nuts would be better if anyone has a source.

hasbeen said:
I have a pot that has a threaded shaft too short to comfortably grab with a hex nut on the other side of the panel.

Is there a threaded sleeve with a hex or flat head that will reach through the panel and grab the thread on the pot?
Doubtful. Sleeve nuts are not going to have such a large inner diameter and bushing threads can be unusual.

If the panel is very thick, the usual resolution is to mill out a recess on the backside (or front).

What kind of threads are we talking???  Is there a spec??? What pot is it??

I agree the threads can get weird with these things but I'm curious.... Even something like what peep holes use could flange out enough if there was a size for that...or something like that

hasbeen said:
They make them.

Gene

Attachments

• pot flange nut.jpg
    pot flange nut.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 34
one could use captive nuts .
they´re easily available and modifying them would be an easy enough task .
(depending of course on the diameter of the pot shaft if there´s a fitting captive nut )

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-21 um 10.21.39.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-21 um 10.21.39.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 19
Plenty of inserts of different types out there, but thread pitch is going to be the big challenge here. The thread size/pitch of a standard 1/4 jack (which I'm assuming is the same size as the pot you're using) is 3/8'-32. Alphas and other metric types are M8x0.75.

There are a lot of insert types available to fit a 3/8 or M8 shaft, but just about all of them you'll commonly find are 3/8-16 or M8x1.25 pitches. That fine thread pitch in a 3/8 size is really hard to find in any style insert, much less one that will work well for this problem.

For that reason, I think finding something like what Gene shows here is going to be tough. Those are probably custom order parts from fastener manufacturers, if I had to guess.

You might find making your own easier. A zinc or aluminum pipe with a 5/16 ID and a 3/8-32 tap are definitely easier to get hold of (the drill bit size you'd use for a 3/8" tap is 5/16). You'd have to get creative with the flange part. Maybe cut across the end of the pipe in an "X" (maybe even bisect that once over with a "+") with a hacksaw or on a scroll saw with a metal cutting blade installed. Bend the cut ends out and flatten them, then drill a couple of holes in those flat flanges for riveting to the chassis. Cut the pipe to the right length and then tap out from the opposite end from the flanges. Not as sexy as a machined part, but it could work.

Back