Make 6mm knob shafts fit 1/4" (6,3mm) pots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weiss

Is there a simple approach on how to do that?
Is drilling an option?
Have some 6mm knobs to make fit 1/4" alpha pots. Unfortunately they were expensive and match the frontpanel design so i don't want to replace them..

Maybe you came across the same problem

scott2000 said:
I spoke with a guy at ASHLY about this in the past. They drill out their original knobs when they can't source an original pot that fits when repairing older gear...... Those are the 1/8" ones with set screws

ah okay. yeah seems like the only option.

Yes in fact the switch from the ASHLY SC52/CL52 (same thing) to the CL52E and beyond was because they couldn't source any more pots they'd been using forever.....
.... So the start of a new line with the readily available pots.....

I now feel like Cliff from Cheers>>>lol

What material are the knobs made from? If it’s a brittle plastic I’d experiment before commiting.  If plastic maybe scraping would work? It’s not very much material to remove.

Gold said:
What material are the knobs made from? If it’s a brittle plastic I’d experiment before commiting.  If plastic maybe scraping would work? It’s not very much material to remove.

unfortunately it is some kind of metal. the right one i might be able to drill but the one on the left seems tough

Attachments

• IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    952.3 KB · Views: 9
Are those collet or set-screws knobs? With collet you can either try to find the same collet but with different inner diameter, or you can remove the collet and drill/file it without damaging the knob. With set-screws knobs you don't have a lot of options. Only drill or file until the knob fits.

Ilya said:
Are those collet or set-screws knobs? With collet you can either try to find the same collet but with different inner diameter, or you can remove the collet and drill/file it without damaging the knob. With set-screws knobs you don't have a lot of options. Only drill or file until the knob fits.

set screw  :-\

Well, what I did (with collets, but it should work with set-screw types as well): I took a dremel with a cylindrical or conical sanding bit and filed a small fraction from the inside of the knob. I think this should work for you as well.

Ilya said:
Well, what I did (with collets, but it should work with set-screw types as well): I took a dremel with a cylindrical or conical sanding bit and filed a small fraction from the inside of the knob. I think this should work for you as well.

i have something like that. it might break because it was cheap but worth a try.
I'll let you know if it worked.

thank you all guys, for your ideas!!  :)

I wouldn’t try to drill it out. 0.03mm is about where I’d expect a bit to bind up. By the time you clamp the knob tight enough it would probably crack.

A rat tail files or rotary tool is what I’d try.

Latest posts

Back