Vintage Microphones PCB D-47 build issue with Really.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordward

Hi, I've got a mic that I've been having problems with for awhile now. the relay won't switch to Omni mode.
At first I thought the capsule was faulty so I exchanged it. Still I got no sound from the back of the mic in Omni mode. Then I tried replacing the relay which also did not help.  I've checked for continuity an all seems well. Only the relay is not switching. I'm not sure what I can measure or check anymore. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :) !

I've just realized that spellcheck corrected the word "relay" to "really"..... I meant RELAY.

PSU is working well? It is terminal slot 6, +48V DC should come out when you put the pattern switch to omni position. Actually the 48V is just opening the relay thru a diode,so then the back membrane is connected to the front.

TLRT said:
PSU is working well? It is terminal slot 6, +48V DC should come out when you put the pattern switch to omni position. Actually the 48V is just opening the relay thru a diode,so then the back membrane is connected to the front.

Yes, I realize through the schematic that this relay is just connecting the front to the back plate. But it's not switching. I've bridged the front and back for a test and it works like this. And I am getting +48V DC at terminal 1 POLRtRN but only when switched to Cardioid mode.  Also, in this mode, I am getting +48V at terminal 2 POLV. When I switch to Omni I get 0V.

Small checklist:

– is flyback diode the right way round?
– measuring at relay itself, is 48V arriving at +ve side of coil?
– is -ve side of coil connected to ground?

You'll want to measure at pins 1 & 3 on relay (see pic)

Attachments

• Relay.png
    Relay.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 7
Banzai said:
Small checklist:

– is flyback diode the right way round?
– measuring at relay itself, is 48V arriving at +ve side of coil?
– is -ve side of coil connected to ground?

You'll want to measure at pins 1 & 3 on relay (see pic)

Hi, sorry for the late reply - I was away for a couple weeks.
Anyway, the diode direction is right and the -ve side is connected to ground.
I'll measure the relay now.

Back