Newbie designing a Bigfetbloke PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvis

Hey there,
I'd like to try out Tamas' Bigfetbloke opamp and decided to order a few PCBs for a couple of dollars to build them on. I've got the schematic and the basic layout from one of the PDFs floating around here and basically just connected the dots, so to speak. But I'm not quite sure if there are any design rules or anything I've missed since I'm completely new to this and so I would appreciate any input before I go ahead and order them.

Unfortunately I couldn't export the pictures of the PCBs in higher resolution, so hopefully that'll do.

Cheers
Jannis

Attachments

• BIGFETBLOKE.png
    BIGFETBLOKE.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 66
Didn't look exhaustively, but it looks good! I especially like your location of the bypass caps C1 and C2 - their grounded sides are relatively isolated, and right next to the input power ground terminal. Helps segregate 'trash' away from most of the circuit.

Edit: there are only three connections to ground, so I guess ground is pretty isolated from the rest of the circuit anyway, but still - it's a good choice.

If it were me, I would send ground to a pin on the DOA, and bypass directly to the pin.  That way you can flood fill with one of the supply rails (instead of ground, which really doesn't interact with the DOA itself) and make the routing a bit easier.

Did you run a DRC check, and what rules are you using?

Thank you both for your input, I really appreciate it a lot!
Although I can't really take credit for the placement of the capacitors, Monte, since I found that on one of the couple of self-etch PCBs that were floating around here.

Matador said:
If it were me, I would send ground to a pin on the DOA, and bypass directly to the pin.  That way you can flood fill with one of the supply rails (instead of ground, which really doesn't interact with the DOA itself) and make the routing a bit easier.

That is a very good point, thank you Matador. Since this is a two layer PCB would you reckon filling e.g. the top layer with the negative supply rail (or the positive, doesn't matter right?) and the bottom layer with a ground plane would be beneficial, or should I just fill both layers with one supply rail?

Matador said:
Did you run a DRC check, and what rules are you using?

I did run a DRC check with a standard track width of 30 mil and track-track, pad-pad and track-pad of 8 mil, hole-hole 10 mil and via hole size 12 mil (didn't edit the last two, they were the standards in EasyEDA). The only thing it didn't like was that I made some of the tracks a little bigger (e.g. the one between V-, Q5 and C2), since I thought that'd make them a little smoother, but maybe that's just silly. I figured that these errors were just coming up because I deviated from the standard guidelines by basically crossing the "normal" traces with these solid regions, but that they weren't much of a problem electronically or in fabrication.

Cheers
Jannis

Latest posts

Back