Adam Smith Zeta 3 operation...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knotty

So I snagged a zeta 3 unit a few months back to hopefully be able to sync my studer to pro tools. This thing makes my head hurt so bad... I mean I work on repair consoles and make records for a living and this thing makes me want to go crazy haha. Is there any good information anywhere on how to use this thing? The manually is rediculous. I’ve tried so many times and it just not a intuitive manual or system. Any info would be sooo welsome! Cheers!

i don't think i've used a zeta 3 since the last century so
i am pretty foggy about details, but...

questions -

you gonna have the studer chase pro tools?  or is pro tools gonna chase the studer?

and either way, i think you are gonna need a digidesign sync i/o to read or spit smpte.

Hm, do you have the cables to connect the studer? If not, then you might not need to worry about the operation of the Zeta.... I am not sure about studers, but some tape machines needed very sophisticated cables to connect to Adams-Smith, for example even the right cable type and length were important sometimes. I don't want to discourage you, I just want to mention it in case you aren't aware.

At first glance it seems much simpler to have Protools chase the tape machine if that is an option for your workflow? You might be able to snatch the necessary hardware for little money if you get lucky. Last year I bought a C-Lab Time Machine for 40€ or so, this is the last box I remember myself using for tape sync with DAWs.

Not an exact answer, but maybe it helps?

Michael

Hello Knotty,

A/S  Zeta 3 was a nice tool to synchronise tape /video/MIDI  transports together, using Timecode.
However it needed a bit of time to master all of its operations.
But before this you had to learn the basics of synchronisation...
Timeline printed a small and well explained manual for beginners
It is probably available online somewhere, try to get it, it is  well worth.
Best,
Guy

Hello Knotty,

All you need to know on synchronisation is in this booklet :  " SMPTE Made Simple "
https://apps.spokane.edu/InternetContent/AutoWebs/steveg/SmpteMadeSimple.pdf

Best,
Guy

I'm using a Zeta III with my Studer A80. I couldn't have done it with out the help of Rick Austin. If you still need help I recommend getting in touch with him. Hope this helps.
http://rickaustin.com/2007/07/18/adams-smith/

+1

I know this is an old post but wanted to also mention that if anyone has Zeta III problems or bought one used and has issues, definitely contact Rick Austin. He refurbished mine (new PS, new chips) back to 100% and good for another few decades.

Latest posts

Back