Smd pads with Through-Hole parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a nice story, but it makes little sense. "I keep pushing, but the parts don't go into the board" LOL. NASA isn't one thing (or one place either),  so while someone somewhere at NASA may have done this, the likely horrible reliability for such an assembly would heavily discourage these sorts of hacks, especially for anything going into space.

Surface mount is hard enough to get it to work reliably even with a specific footprint for each part, with fairly precise and repeatable component dimensions, so the vagaries of hand bent leads seems to be asking for certain disaster. And, through-hole parts are on the way out anyway.

You can mix through hole and SMD on a board with no problems at all, and I find it useful for the few instances where SMD parts can be problematic, such as for electrolytic caps, and film caps with nice dielectrics. Maybe this was what was being referred to?

Yes you can mix smd and through hole.  Was done at my last gig no problem. We also at times used through hole parts on smd pads during repairs due to availability of parts.

Forget NASA so much as aerospace using through hole parts to smd pads.  Almost like melf resistors but they are through/hole.

pucho812 said:
Yes you can mix smd and through hole.  Was done at my last gig no problem. We also at times used through hole parts on smd pads during repairs due to availability of parts.

Forget NASA so much as aerospace using through hole parts to smd pads.  Almost like melf resistors but they are through/hole.
Aerospace was big on packaging density, for reduced size and weight (i.e. payload).  Back in the 60's I worked on some navy stuff, and in the early 70s after getting out of the army on some missile guidance stuff. Back then they used what was called "cord wood" where thru hole parts would be sandwiched between two stacked PCB... You think modern stuff is hard to troubleshoot, try that.  ::)
cord.jpg

JR

Why would you want to do this? Through hole has mechanical strength.  SMD parts are small and light so solder is enough to hold reliably.

pucho812 said:
I think it has to do with what's easier to get a hold off part wise.
Back in the early days of SMD (like last century) parts unavailability in SMD packages was a common problem. These days hopefully not so much.

JR

Latest posts

Back