New Paypal Fees – Personal Payments

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai

When sending money abroad, the fee is now a fixed price: $2.99 to countries in N. America and Europe. Rest of world $4.99

No more percentage of total, as long as you pay from funds in your balance.

Not so sweet if you only send small payments. For a $20 payment, the fee went up x12.

But if you regularly send big payments...

squarewave said:
Where are you getting this information exactly? Do you have a link or a proper quote from an updated UA?

Quicker to login into your account, and just try it...

Banzai said:
Quicker to login into your account, and just try it...
This is what I see:

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2018-07-03%2B09-24-27.png

And digging around in the "Policy Updates" I see:

We’re removing the variable rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States when you send money using PayPal balance or your bank account and introducing a new flat fee of $2.99 or $4.99 per transaction depending on the recipient’s country.  However, when you send money using your credit card, debit card, or PayPal credit you will be charged the new flat fee per transaction depending on the recipient’s country + 2.9% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee based on the currency.

Seems like a lot of "when", "depending" and "however" clauses in there.

Found this for you: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#sending-friends-family

Confirms the price for the US is $2.99 or $4.99 depending on the regions you're sending to. As long as you use your Paypal balance.

For me it's less, but I'm in a different zone ('Europe II'). To confirm from my end, I've sent two payments in USD from my balance, and been charged $2.41 each time. If I send CHF it's 2.49 per transaction (see attached).

Attachments

• CH fees.png
    CH fees.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 9
i really don't agree with their policy but unfortunately there is no other safe way of money transaction other than local pickup  :mad:

Because of the fleebay  / paypal extortion  I will never sell another thing on ebay , but
for those so inclined I've had great experiences selling on reverb.com  they will pay you directly into your bak account
without using paypal at all !  lower fee than fleebay , although you have to absorb the cc fee if thats how the buyer pays
but both PP and fleebay  tweak things  so often you'd think they must be losing business ?
More banks and credit unions are offering e transfers  so another way to avoid paypal!

okgb said:
Because of the fleebay  / paypal extortion  I will never sell another thing on ebay , but
for those so inclined I've had great experiences selling on reverb.com  they will pay you directly into your bak account
without using paypal at all !  lower fee than fleebay , although you have to absorb the cc fee if thats how the buyer pays
but both PP and fleebay  tweak things  so often you'd think they must be losing business ?
More banks and credit unions are offering e transfers  so another way to avoid paypal!

Reverb is a great and simple platform. But it has even higher fees for selling gear because most people use paypal and that comes on top (compared to selling it 'privately' with Paypal)

simonsez said:
what about bank transfer? western union?

i don't see any security with bank transfer? ???
assume you received an empty packe, what would you do?

weiss said:
i don't see any security with bank transfer? ???
assume you received an empty packe, what would you do?
Security isn't really a problem with a wire transfer because you can just not ship the merchandise until after the wire was complete. And I would never do otherwise because they are somewhat painful in that the sender must provide the sending bank with your account number, routing number and bank address which can easily get screwed up for one reason or another and it will take days in between to figure out that something is wrong. And wire transfers usually cost ~$15 USD but can be quite a bit more. Usually the sender pays, but they have the option of allowing it to be subtracted from the payment so it is not uncommon for the payment to come up a little short. So regardless of what you think of PayPal, it's certainly convenient. You pay for that convenience.

squarewave said:
Security isn't really a problem with a wire transfer because you can just not ship the merchandise until after the wire was complete. And I would never do otherwise because they are somewhat painful in that the sender must provide the sending bank with your account number, routing number and bank address which can easily get screwed up for one reason or another and it will take days in between to figure out that something is wrong. And wire transfers usually cost ~$15 USD but can be quite a bit more. Usually the sender pays, but they have the option of allowing it to be subtracted from the payment so it is not uncommon for the payment to come up a little short. So regardless of what you think of PayPal, it's certainly convenient. You pay for that convenience.

yes but if i'm the buyer i wouldn't use bank transfer. there are just too many bad people out there.

weiss said:
yes but if i'm the buyer i wouldn't use bank transfer. there are just too many bad people out there.

I still looking for good way to receive payment online, and use paypal for shopping  only.

paypal is good on buyer side, but for seller?  their policy sucks!
you can order "custom made item" and then refuse it without any reason when it  deliver to you, filing dispute for "item not receive", you got full refund and the packaged will return to the seller, seller will lose shipping cost, time and  material cost.
I can't believe  that kind of policy can exist on this earth

Back