Solid Power Planes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[silent:arts]

A friend asked me for a small Power Distribution PCB.

Now, since we only have two signals (0V and 12), and it will be a double sided PCB, is there any problem using a solid copper plane for 0V at the bottom, and a solid copper plane on top for 12V DC?

Attachments

• S6P.png
    S6P.png
    512.5 KB · Views: 32
I would use top plane for 0V, and add a small resistor led combo for indication. The mounting holes should be isolated.

It should be fine bur remember to use thermal reliefs on the connector pads or you may have trouble soldering them.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you all Gentlemen.

volker said:
No problem at all. In multilayer pcbs it is always done this way.
I was a little unsure if two solid planes are fine or some kind of a capacitor  ;D

moamps said:
I would use top plane for 0V, and add a small resistor led combo for indication. The mounting holes should be isolated.
You are right, oV on top would fit better to my other PCBs (most with a 0V solid plane on top)

ruffrecords said:
It should be fine bur remember to use thermal reliefs on the connector pads or you may have trouble soldering them.
Thank you Ian, I'm aware of this.

[silent:arts] said:
I was a little unsure if two solid planes are fine or some kind of a capacitor  ;D

It will form, by definition, a capacitor with the PCB material (FR4  ?) as the dielectric.
Value will be small but it just adds extra decoupling which is usually a good thing.

Latest posts

Back