Pronomic SCM-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jarvis said:
how are the capsules then compared to the pronomic ones? Are they all the same?
The 'old' Pronomic capsules had a pronounced HF peak. (~ 5 dB @ 7/8 KHz.)
The MP capsules are the same as the 'new' Pronomic capsules and the 'Banzai' ones, as far as I have heard and measured.
These capsules have a pretty 'flat' frequency response and sound better than the 'old' Pronomic ones.

I tried to order the micparts  version yesterday, but got an email stating they were like the MXL capsules, not the ones pictured, so I got a refund.

Anyone know where I can get the Banzai/Pronomic type capsule in the US?  Or does anyone have an extra they'd like to sell? 

Also, I'd be interested in one of those transformerless km84 boards, homero, if you had more.

Anyone have one of the newer Pronomic ones they'd sell? Or be willing to pick one up for me? I'll pay you obviously, Paypal preferred. Located in Ontario, Canada.

The Mic-Parts capsule with the mesh or whatever, not the Banzai like one, has anyone compared it to the new Pronomic/Banzai ones?

Why don't you ask a forum member in Europe to order a Pronomic SCM-1 for you, let him calculate the shipping costs to Canada, pay him through Paypal and there you have your SCM-1 microphone!

Im going to order 2 Pronomics in the near future. So if you want, I can order microphone for you and resend it to Ontario... Just send me PM.

I got two capsules from micparts  today (from eBay). Ordered about two weeks ago.
They look like the capsules in the eBay picture.
Tried them on my Takstar CM-63 mics tonight. Huge HF-peak around 7-8 KHz!
My CM-63 mics sounds pretty good with the original capsules. Not much different than my KM 184 (but a bit more noise).
Don't buy the micparts capsules! Unless you want a very, very bright mic.
Link to eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202266409962?euid=null&bu=43022476200&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

That is very strange!
I measured them and there was an obvious difference in frequency response.
The ones with the punched metal were measurable (and audible) more 'flat'.
In fact the same as the 'Banzai' capsules.

RuudNL said:
That is very strange!
I measured them and there was an obvious difference in frequency response.
The ones with the punched metal were measurable (and audible) more 'flat'.
In fact the same as the 'Banzai' capsules.
I think they're saying they got the ones with she mesh screen. So not the Banzai looking ones.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't it be possible to screw off the brass coloured ring and replace mesh with any kind of DIY mesh/grille?

Yes, theoretically this should be possible!
As long as you don't sneeze and lose the thin spacer(s) between the diaphragm and the backplate.  ;D
But where do we find fine punctured thin metal plate?
I would measure the capacity of the capsule before disassembly and check afterwards.
Because the pressure of the threaded ring, that holds everything together, changes the capacity.

The 7K problem isn't caused the screen/grill.  It's the distance from the front of the capsule to the diaphragm.  If you look at better sounding  SDC's the diaphragm is much closer to the front of the capsule than the MXL types.

It really isn't that difficult to grind off the front of the capsule and tame that peak.  Take out the inner brass ring, the backplate, and the diaphragm.  Like Ruud says, make sure you don't loose the thin spacer behind the diaphragm, it's super clear and thin.  Pop the inner ring that holds the screen  and screen out, grind the outer part of the capsule down, and put everything back in.  I used a tiny bit of glue to hold the screen in place.

Hey guys,
today I received my pair and unfortunately both had the old type of capsule with the slotted grille. It seems like after being sold out they restocked the old variant.  :-\

Hi all,

this week a got my Takestar CM60 from China. I have compared them to the new Pronomic. Here are pictures and frequency plots.

Attachments

• 20180901_103712.jpg
    20180901_103712.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 64
Frequency plot Takestar red in comparison to Pronomic blue .  Speaker is a KH310 Neumann with pink noise

Attachments

• Vergleich mit Pronomic neu.jpg
    Vergleich mit Pronomic neu.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 62
Takestar (red)  in comparison to MBHO KA200 (Blue) pink noise

Attachments

• Vergleich mit MBHO KA200.jpg
    Vergleich mit MBHO KA200.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 57
Back