Pronomic SCM-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pronomic (red) to MBHO KA200 (blue) .

Sorry, but it seems, that I can only upload one picture in one post.

Reiner

Attachments

• Vergleich mit Pronomic neu mit MBHO KA200.jpg
    Vergleich mit Pronomic neu mit MBHO KA200.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 49
So after my initial disappointment I did some research and it seems like both type of capsules are manufactured by ISK and are rebrands of different models: The "old" Pronomic seems to be a BM-81 model, while the "new" one seems to be their BM-80.
In larger quantities you seem to be able to buy them on Alibaba ( http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/cardioid-small-diaphragm-condenser-microphone-BM80_60307864991.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.85.1432751eVsR5AV ) and in smaller quantities they are available from an Austrailan eBay-vendor ( https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BM-80-/311698332454 ).

jarvis said:
So after my initial disappointment I did some research and it seems like both type of capsules are manufactured by ISK and are rebrands of different models: The "old" Pronomic seems to be a BM-81 model, while the "new" one seems to be their BM-80.
In larger quantities you seem to be able to buy them on Alibaba ( http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/cardioid-small-diaphragm-condenser-microphone-BM80_60307864991.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.85.1432751eVsR5AV ) and in smaller quantities they are available from an Austrailan eBay-vendor ( https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BM-80-/311698332454 ).
Interesting. Has anyone used the BM-80 before? I just have to CM-20c and BM-600.

micro1_de said:
Frequency plot Takestar red in comparison to Pronomic blue .  Speaker is a KH310 Neumann with pink noise

They are too close for Pronomic to be considered "better" imho.

That 7-8k peak is still present.

kingkorg said:
They are too close for Pronomic to be considered "better" imho.

That 7-8k peak is still present.

Well, as far as I can tell the peak is still present, but at 7k there's a difference of about 8(!) dB. So I'd call that a pretty massive difference.

As far as i can tell the peak is just shifted towards 8k, and Pronomic seems to have a dip at 7k which makes 8k peak even more prominent  and sharper. I am not sure if we are talking about the same graph.

Still waiting for my mics, and will post my measurements.

https://www.swamp.net.au/isk-bm-80-cardioid-pencil-condenser-overhead-microphone here's an English link to the BM-80. It does look pretty similar actually to the Banzai like capsules. A google search of the Banzai kit suggests it uses Maiku capsules though, not iSK. (Don't own the Banzai kit so I couldn't tell ya)

I got a message from someone who recently ordered the Pronomic SCM-1 microphones, that they are back to the 'old' capsules...
(Maybe they ordered the 'wrong' type for a certain period of time.  :D)

RuudNL said:
I got a message from someone who recently ordered the Pronomic SCM-1 microphones, that they are back to the 'old' capsules...
(Maybe they ordered the 'wrong' type for a certain period of time.  :D)

Hey,
maybe my message got lost in the thread but I also received the old version, when they arrived on saturday.  That's why I said that I was kind of disappointed and that's why I searched for an alternative.

"Banzai" announced that when there will be a next run of KM84 kits, he will also make some extra microphone capsules available.
So, that is the only hope we can have...

ISK is the source of the capsules, and they even confirmed through email to me that they make Pronomic. However, they won't sell capsules under 300pcs or so.

Still waiting for mine. And the same version of the capsule but without punctured grille is on the customs, i got them from Shaiyin.

I received these today. Hyper, and cardioid.

Even though they have different grille, they have very simmilar responses like Pronomic measurements provided here, compared to older type capsules.

I wait for my pronomics, and will post results.

If anyone is interrested, HyperCardioid version has larger holes in plastic backplates, the rest is pretty much the same.

And no, they are not the same as old MXL capsules with mesh. These are shallower, have very dense mesh, and are flatter in response.

Attachments

• 20180905_234836.jpg
    20180905_234836.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
Interesting! What is the (approximately) size of the holes in the plastic 'backplate'?
How did you get those capsules from ShuaiYin? (I suppose they are not interested to sell a small quantity.)

Ok, i am very impressed. I think Matt from MP wasn't lying. This Shayin capsule seems to be the one  that MP sells now, but it is not like old MXL capsules. I think they are the same Shabtek got. 

Blue line is old style Pronomic, MXL, Subzero type capsules...
Red one is Shayin cardioid capsule
Yellow is Shayin hypercardioid capsule
Green is Neumann KM84, but you can omit weaker bass response, it's older measuerment and i believe KM84 was furthet away from the speaker. However the curve is pretty mush identical, it's just amplitude difference.

So yes i dare to say KM84 and these new capsules are almost as matched pair, if you omit proximity effect with km84 here.

ti1JDMj.jpg

Ruud I cant measure the holes precisely, but i think it's very obvious.

Left one is Hypercardioid, wider plastic backplate holes, and smaller brass bacplate holes.
Right one is Cardioid and it's exactly opposite.

Note that Hypercardioid's outer ring  holes on brass backplate has smaller holes.

UfTp0WO.jpg

That's what I mentioned already:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=69474.msg891463#msg891463

I have compared the "Banzai" ones with the "newer Pronomic" (or iSK, or whatever), but those capsules measure exactly the same.
But the "old" (and apparently current) Pronomic capsules sound completely different compared to the "Banzai"-style ones.

Latest posts

Back