Tx mounting pads

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

This better not be about chassis again dude. Let it go already!

Ok, I know I'm beating a dead horse about chassis pours, but I see some designers choose to put output tx mount pads on Chassis pins in 500 series stuff.

Per all the generous advice, I am moving the whole thing over to 0V and pretty much omitting chassis altogether, however I'm still in undiscovered territory.
Obviously the standoffs need to be nulled, but ...are there any concerns to be had moving those tx pads to 0V as well?

An OT doesn't need to be shielded and grounding standoffs will have zero effect. The bolts won't even make electrical contact because the lams are covered in lacquer. In fact, if you make the bolts conductive to each other you might change the magnetic behavior of the whole thing. Sometimes there's a copper wrap around OT's that is supposed to minimize interference with nearby stuff but it's not grounded. It's just a shorted turn of sorts. I say "of sorts" because it does not go through the coil so it doesn't short the OT itself, it just shorts stuff that might radiate out. That's my current understanding anyway. Corrections possible later.

Thanks square.  Weird about the non conductivity, as some build manuals are very clear about using star washers to get a good contact on the underside pads. Maybe it's just a monophonic precaution.

What build manual? Post a link. Maybe there's something to it. I donno.

If it's just a regular OT like JT-123-SLPC / API PCB mounted flat style I've seen in the pics of your builds, then I don't see how grounding the bolts would do anything.

If it's a channel bracket style OT maybe a pour between mounting holes makes for a shorted turn like the foil tape style shield. Although the channel bracket goes around the edges whereas the copper tape style shield is not oriented in the same way.

btw, in case there was confusion, when I said standoffs, I did not mean the bolts for the tx. 
I was talking about the aluminum standoffs that keeps the PCB's together.  Originally I had them passing chassis across PCB's but since I've removed chassis pour, I've nulled the standoffs so audio 0v plane only has one pathway.

Back