Any cheap SDCs like the AT4053b?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

I'm interested in learning about cheap but not crappy SDC mics if they're out there. Especially interested in swappable capsules (not a necessity) and hypercardioid stuff. I know the AT4053b is a really good (but kind of pricy) SDC. Just using the AT4053b as a reference point because it looks really flat/neutral sounding.

Are there any really great but cheap ones? Or is the Oktava MK-012 the best option for a quality hypercardioid and modular SDC? I will say that I like the sound of that mic. Cheap in this case can mean anything up to the price of an MK-012 (street/eBay prices which seem to be $200 USD, but if there's anything $100 USD or so that doesn't suck I'd like to hear about it). FWIW I like the sound of the MK-012 more than the AT4053b from the samples I've heard.

Interested in (possibly) foley, voice over (still have a good mic for that specifically, but I'd like a small mic I can have on me for auditions and the like), and dialogue/videography purposes. Proper true condensers are appreciated, and what I'm interested in. Not so interested in electrets like the VideoMics.

Latest posts

Back