How to swat a fly

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desol

There's probably better, more technologically advanced ways of accomplishing this however, based on experience, this method seems to work fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCCJ_KAcxGI

This reminds me of the deer flies and how a blue balloon and some tanglefoot I tried is the best.....

I had my neighbor try it when he was walking his dog around the lake near here and he came back with 20 of them.....

lol...

UF called it trolling

http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/pestalert/deerflies.htm

I friend recently told me she has heard that flies always fly forward when disturbed. As we humans are so slow relative to flies, the secret is therefore to aim a few inches in front of the fly's head. No idea if it works.

Cheers

Ian

Fly swatter is fast enough you don't need windage.  They have compound eyes so it is harder to sneak up on them from anywhere but behind.  More sporting to use rubber bands and a ruler, but screw sport, fly swatters work just fine.  8)

I sometimes have deer flies (the ones who bite) pursue me when I'm out riding my bike..(they usually feast on cattle in nearby pastures.)  They can't catch me on level and downhills, but while climbing up hills they can be irritating (they like to land on and bite the back of my arms making them harder to see and swat.)  It can get interesting in traffic.  ::)

JR

Flies also see the word relative to us in slow motion.  They see like 5 times faster than us, and it's not just because we have a long optical nerve to traverse. It's chemical!

Edit: YT is a helluva drug.

I remember seeing a documentary  that used high speed cameras to figure out how flies landed and took off . If a fly is on the ceiling and he wants to take off ,he seems to do a backward half flip base jump before the engines kick in. Similarly he has to do a flip when he wants to land upside down too , interesting to watch.

Latest posts

Back