Passive EQ Grounding Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
Hi Folks,

I built an EQ a few years back based on the following project that had a Pultec  type filter and BA283 makeup gain section:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43413.0

When I built it originally, I put the filter in one case and the amps in another due to not having anything big enough to hold it.  I'm trying to put it all in the same case to make it look better, but I forgot how I had it wired up, specifically where it had it wired to chassis ground.  I've attached a basic diagram of what I've  built.  It uses a +48V SMPS into a JLM audio TREX, which knocks the voltage down to +24V for Neve type projects.

Based on this diagram, can anyone recommend where my chassis grounds need to be (I have pin 1 of the jacks tied to chassis already)? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Craig

Attachments

• my passive eq layout.png
    my passive eq layout.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 16
craigmorris74 said:
Based on this diagram, can anyone recommend where my chassis grounds need to be
It's an awkward question; the chassis ground is where your chassis is.  ;)
I guess your question is "where do I connect the earth?" and "where do I connect the 0V?".
The earth pin of the mains connector should be connected to the chassis close to the connector. That's the basic connection that provides safety.
Now regarding 0V, it's a little more elaborate. Since the ins and outs are floating, you could connect any 0V point anywhere on teh chassis, and that should not make any significant difference. However, in order to minimize noise, you should connect the cleanest 0V point, which is typically the reference point of the voltage regulator, that you have labelled 0V, to the safety earth.

Back