Modifying a Soundtracs Solo Midi mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

althemusicwizard

I've just managed to buy  Soundtracs Solo in pretty good condition given that it's a 25 year old mixing console.  It probably would benefit from a serious overall and it got me thinking. It has almost everything I'm looking for in terms of a way of tying together 24-track analogue tape and 24-track digital. Two things that would have been nice would be:

1.  Better channel monitoring (although I can get round this by having the tape machine near when using analogue, and having a digital meterbridge open when using digital).

2. Moving faders that output midi data as controller numbers.

I have a Mackie Ultramix system hooked up to the console which gives VCA automation via an old (1997) Mac/ Windows software.  It's a real fiddly affair to get the whole thing going as it consists of an old computer, a midi interface, a Mackie Ultrapilot control surface and the 19" rack unit / patchbay which houses the audio electronics of the VCA automation. It would be absolutely the dog's proverbials if I could get some moving faders like say the ones on a Yamaha 02R (as the units are cheap as chips) to replace the ones in the Solo. I realise I may just be dreaming with no real idea what's involved here but thought I would ask here for some thoughts on the idea? 

Hi, i got myself a Solo Midi a few months ago.

I am happy with it, and I also considered the moving faders but could not find a good solution. The few good systems out there were expensive and it just does not make sense the investment.

I have been recapping the board for reliability.
Did you find a sensible mod to apply / improve - specifically i would be interested in lowering the noise at master and group summing buses.

When you say better monitoring do you mean better metering.? The Solo Midi has PFL on every channel so you can hear and see any channel. Are you looking for a meter on every channel?

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back