Powered ns10

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Ok after the whole cla10 thing and rigamaroll, I got to thinking.
Oh Lordy here it comes....
Why hasn't anyone tried to built a better mouse trap.  In this case what is the fascination with making an exact copy? So I thought about it and decided maybe we can make it better.
Let's add a plate amplifier and make them powered. Based on my calculations this amp will physically fit and it is more then suitable for the task.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/amplifiers/minidsp-pwr-ice125-dsp-2-way-amplifier/

Isn't a lot of this site,  and music gear in general,  based on the fascination of building an exact copy?

I don't disagree in general,  but in this case I do think passive is better.  I imagine there are a lot of studios that might want drop in replacements.

I like having the DSP
capable amp, but It’s the punch of a snare on an NS10 that works (IMO) with their passive design.  It’s so easy to find that instruments level that works in the mix against the other instruments .  Not sure if DSP would help or hurt that. 

How many people here still use NS10’?

I Have a pair that I put up from time to time when mixing.  I’m trying not to blow up any tweeters since my speakers are all original.

If it were me I would stick a Hypex NC500 on the back of each speaker. unbuffered.

If someone willing to build a enclosure for this project im down to help with the design. etc..

I did freelance work in a studio that threw the amp off of some behringer reference monitors on their ns10s. They sounded great. Or actually they sounded like ns10s. Great would be very subjective.

Back