Powered ns10

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Ok after the whole cla10 thing and rigamaroll, I got to thinking.
Oh Lordy here it comes....
Why hasn't anyone tried to built a better mouse trap.  In this case what is the fascination with making an exact copy? So I thought about it and decided maybe we can make it better.
Let's add a plate amplifier and make them powered. Based on my calculations this amp will physically fit and it is more then suitable for the task.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/amplifiers/minidsp-pwr-ice125-dsp-2-way-amplifier/

Isn't a lot of this site,  and music gear in general,  based on the fascination of building an exact copy?

I don't disagree in general,  but in this case I do think passive is better.  I imagine there are a lot of studios that might want drop in replacements.

I like having the DSP
capable amp, but It’s the punch of a snare on an NS10 that works (IMO) with their passive design.  It’s so easy to find that instruments level that works in the mix against the other instruments .  Not sure if DSP would help or hurt that. 

How many people here still use NS10’?

I Have a pair that I put up from time to time when mixing.  I’m trying not to blow up any tweeters since my speakers are all original.

If it were me I would stick a Hypex NC500 on the back of each speaker. unbuffered.

If someone willing to build a enclosure for this project im down to help with the design. etc..

I did freelance work in a studio that threw the amp off of some behringer reference monitors on their ns10s. They sounded great. Or actually they sounded like ns10s. Great would be very subjective.

Latest posts

Back