preamp for a mil spec mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtzack4

So a mil spec mic has has an independence of 5 +-1 ohms. I want to use one for an effect mic and I was wondering the best way to get a descent signal into a preamp.  I tried recording with it into a RME UCX and and I had a bad SNR problem. I believe the impedance mismatch mach is cause a low SNR  which makes me believe that a mic pre with a input transformer would solve this problem as long as the input independence is low enough on it.

Im really not sure if this is the issue. I would like to build an impedance converter so that I can run them into mic pre on a RME UCX.

the mic have a balanced output? I suppose is 5 ohms of output impedance. That seem a bit low, the signal could be very low too.

I don´t think it is a impedance problem the input of the soundcard is high enough. I think is a problem of signal level, wiring or shielding.

if the mic is not balanced, be sure to connect it correctly.

12afael said:
the mic have a balanced output? I suppose is 5 ohms of output impedance. That seem a bit low, the signal could be very low too.

I don´t think it is a impedance problem the input of the soundcard is high enough. I think is a problem of signal level, wiring or shielding.

if the mic is not balanced, be sure to connect it correctly.

The mic is not balanced.  How would I go about balancing this mic (the model is a Electro Voice M-169/AIC) ?  The output of the mic is simply 2 wires.
This is the only info I could find on it...
https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/5965-01-233-0771.html
I don’t believe that it is a low signal because I can get the input on sound card to clip with a decent amount of gain.

So I looked up how to use a transformer to make an unbalanced signal to a balanced signal and found this link https://www.instructables.com/id/Balanced-Microphone-From-An-Old-Telephone/

Does this seem appropriate for a mic with a low impedance? 

Could I use this same concept on a speaker for a microphone? 

Any thoughts on resister and/or cap values?

Any suggestions for a good read on the topic?

Thank you,
Zack

Latest posts

Back